Possibly gallbladder related or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was sent in for an emergency ultrasound today to check if I had gallstones, but to no surprise it came back clear. The pain started last week; It was an onset attack; I vomited, had chills (no fever), felt faint, and had severe crippling pain in abdomen which was mainly in upper right side under the ribs. (This excruciating pain lasted about 5-6 hours.) I have yellow stools and during this unpleasant time have orange/ yellow oil in my stool as well, it has a really fatty smell (fatty stool?), excessive gas and bloating, full sensation in right side of abdomen, sore/ tender right arm and shoulder blade, but the pain in my right upper abdomen under the ribs and back is still severe and always there. Laying down also hurts and so does moving around, it feels as if something is under there. Does this sound like a dysfunctional gallbladder or gallstones, because my home doctor certainly thinks it is, but my ultra sound detected squat. Are there other ways to determine if this is gallbladder related? I was diagnosed with IBS a while ago because they can't find where my pain is coming from, but never have I had pain like this before. Any help & insight would be greatly appreciated! 🙃

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a HIDA scan to check how your gallbladder is functioning?  Your symptoms do sound like gallbladder. Has your liver function been tested?  Gallstones usually show up on ultrasounds.  Have you tried a food diary to see if a food is causing symptoms? However, if your gallbladder turns out to be healthy and other tests are clear, IBS is the diagnosis. 
    • Posted

Hi Pippa, no I haven't had a HIDA scan or CT scan. Hopefully I can get my GP to make an appointment for me to get my gallbladder function looked at. Liver function? They did blood test to see if I had any infections in my liver but that came back normal. But I'm having severe stinging pressure under my right rib today and my right arm feels sore. I have never had these symptoms before!

• Posted

I will thank you! Also my right arm feels tingly and cold right now 😰 Is this normal?

• Posted

You will need to ask your doctor about your tingly, cold arm. I don't know what these sensations could be.  I get tingling in my arms but I have nerve injuries from previous falls that didn't fully heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.