Possibly Gerd ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all , 

I'm a 51 male . 

In pretty good shape , other then acid reflux . 

5"10 225lbs 

I am a work a-Holic 

Pushing 6 days a week 13 hrs a day 

And I have an outrageous appetite . 

I have been suffering from acid reflux for a while , however in the past 2 years I have undergone some major dental work and my issues with the reflux have gotten worse , of course when one has major mouth work eating problems occur . 

I suffer from burning chest pain daily , 

Dry cough , tickle in my throat ,

And upper back pain sometimes under my arms I have been to the doc about this recently during a full phyical , 

I had full panel blood work , full X-rays head to toe , EKG the works looking for anything and everything that could be causing the chest and back pain looking for tumors etc result

( nothing abnormal ) . 

The doctor thinks that the acid reflux has developed into a severe case of GERD . To which I haven't been tested yet . The doc currently has me on omeprezol , and I eat antacids like candy , and they do briefly and quickly take the pain away , but as soon as I drink something and wash it down , here comes the burn again , drinking something real cold has the same sudden cooling effect , 

Is it possible I have GERD now , anyone else ever have these types of issues ? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes very typical of Gerd you heed to eat a low acid diet no fatty foods try Gaviscon after meals and don't drink to much coffee try to cut it out or just one cup sa day same for teas also no fizzy drinks and don't drink very cold drinks your Gullet coffee kid be inflamed  from acid do needs time to heal and that means a good healthy diet hope this helps you 

• Posted

I totally agree with Gilliam. Diet is the biggest culprit of burning acid. Acid can bubble into large pockets and pressure from can affect yr whole body. I suffer with acid reflux, gerd, along with globus. No fun. But I try to notice and limit food intake that causes flareups. If able, keep a food journal and see what foods make it worse. We are all different. I also believe mine is caused by low acid, same symptoms, so I take 2tsp. Organic apple cider vinegar in 1/2 cup water an drink each morning. My ENT approved it and it truly helps me. Hope you can find what helps you..
    • Posted

my problem is im a work a holic because I'm a single parent with a daughter in college , working 6 sometimes 7 days a week 12-13 hrs a day in a high stress job can take its toll , 

Not to mention I'll openly admit my diet isn't exactly all that great , 

Often times , my chest burns so badly I can't stand it , it's like it's right under the skin , and moves up and down as I said I have had test after test 

X-rays , blood , scans the works 

Nothing found , however never did an endo though , 

A lot of times I find myself coughing at night ( dry cough ) and often I wake up 

Burning in my chest , not a day goes by that I don't feel it , 

Often times I will get alittle hoarseness from it , or othertimes I get this tickle in my throats which drives me crazy because I'm constantly clearing my throat sometimes , again I knew I always had an issue with acid reflux , but things were never this bad , it all

Started getting bad just recently when I had a lot of dental work

done , ( implants ) and of course this can create eating issues as well , 1 tends to gulp down food because of stitches etc , 

Which doesn't help the acid reflux at all . 

• Posted

Hoping you can slow down. NOTHING is worth your health...Slow down, eat right and live long...wink
    • Posted

So do I , I been working this kinda schedule for about 8 years now but as I said being a single dad with a daughter in nursing college and isn't cheap , my God some of her books are over $200-$300 , 

I am well aware , my work schedule and my diet most likey has a lot to do what I'm feeling . 

• Posted

I have a lot of stress in my life to and that can really make the burning worse im the same some days it feels like a hole is being burned in my chest , you need to have the camera put down to see if acid as cursed any damage I've had it done twice and had biopsy samples took to check for anything bad but was all clear I was told I make  to much acid pretty much all down to stress and the odd naughty chocolate bar can trigger it as well you do could have an inflamed gullet from so much acid and burning eat a very plain diet of fish chicken vegetables 

• Posted

I know what you mean , it's really really hard to say NO to chocolate . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.