Possibly have CFS.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a doctor tell me that I could possibly have CFS , I have been ill since having Pluresy and a couple of weeks ago I really went down hill. Absolutely shattered and ache everywhere I have got stabbing pains in my arms and legs. I feel like I can't breath properly and sound breathless when speaking. I now and again get a ringing noise in my ears and can hear the blood pumping in my head. I feel like I am struggling to put words together sometimes and cannot concentrate to read ECT. Sorry to moan, I have noticed that at the moment I feel a little bit better but still shattered after doing the smallest thing I feel.that I can't go to work lunch this I don't feel like I can drive that far and that I will definitely not be anlevto do a full day. If after washing the bath out I feel like I need to rest for a hour . I understand that i have a long way to go before I have a full answer but am supposed to be going on a holiday of a lifetime in September (on a cruise) my partner thinks we should cancel and i dont want to , I know it will be a different kind of holiday but feel it .aye do us both the world of good.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are criteria for a CFS diagnosis. If your doctor has ruled out everything else through whatever tests they are able to do and your symptoms fit with the criteria then you should try to get diagnosed.

If your doctor has tested for other illnesses, infections etc then look on the internet for CFS diagnosis criteria. If you then feel you fit you will want to as much research as you can regarding things that help CFS.

I'm sure many of us have cancelled holidays etc in the past. It just the way of the illness. Doing anything physical or mental will cause your very small energy bubble to deplete increasing your symptoms and getting PEM (Post Exertional Malaise). PEM is something you should definitely look up. If you manage yourself well though holidays are possible. The key thing to remember is pushing yourself makes you worse with CFS.

• Posted

Thank you Bob that is very helpful I will look into the condiions you suggest.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,

I get many of your symptoms and can understand how hard it is for you as if it is cfs/me you are in the early stages and it's all a bit of a shock.

Going back to work may need to go on hold right now as it sounds out of your grasp and if/when you do go back it will need to be done very gradually.

The key to recovery is resting and doing things in small amounts as well as eating as well as you can. I don't get the breathlessness so much but someone i know who also has cfs/me does and it can be scary but, again, good amounts of rest will help. Pleuresy is a very physically draining condition and your body will need time to recover and the current weather may not help with that.

Be gentle on yourself and ask others for as much help as you can. I find that bit hard but essential.

Regards your holiday, if you do go, make sure you're prepared. Do as little as you can before you go. Get your husband to pack. Rest on the journey there and back and take ear plugs and sunglasses. Cutting down on as much over stimulation as possible before, during and after your holiday will help. When I've been away i have always had to plan some recovery time when i come back. My walking is badly affected so that stops me doing too much as i have to sit down and have to rest. Yours maybe that your breathing acts as the same deterrent to doing too much.

Hope that helps

Beverley

• Posted

Thank you Beverley. I hope that I get some answers soon as I am sure you are aware it is very frustrating when we are normally fit and well just getting on with our lives.

I hope you start to feel a bit better and thank you again for your time.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

It is such a frustrating condition but, on the plus it's very early days and is more likely post viral fatigue which is more likely to clear up. After 6 months it's seen as cfs/me.

Taking it easy now will help you.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Tracey

Sorry you are so unwell. No fun I well know. Am I understanding correctly that you have only been unwell a few weeks ? Rather than months ? If so it is far too early to say you have CFS. You more likely have a post infection fatigue which has the possibility to resolve itself. And not develop into a chronic state.

To diagnose CFS the symptoms should have been present continually for at least six months. Plus a string of other conditions and diseases have to be ruled out first. It is a process and diagnosis of elimination.

The best thing for you to do right now is to allow your body to heal after your recent infection. Pleurisy is not pleasant and can take a toll on your body. such things shoot down your immune system and can make you feel unwell for a time afterwards. Don't push yourself to do things. Rest as much as you can but don't completely do nothing . just take it gently. Eat a healthy regular diet avoiding junk food and processed food as it does not help boost your immune system and thus the healing process. Drink plenty of water. Especially in hot weather. There's a whole variety of nutritional stuff people follow etc. What does for one does nothing for another.

I know your symptoms are concerning and frustrating , but being careful and kind to yourself at this stage can make all the difference to the outcome . not everyone who has a post viral/other infection fatigue goes on to have chronic fatigue syndrome. relax and take it steady and be positive. Hope you feel better before too long . take care x

• Posted

And definitely don't go back to work yet. Very important you have more time off to recover. X

• Posted

Thank you do much for the lovely and helpful comments. I had Pluresy in March and have had lots of tests that ate all coming back as normal, I am having a C.T scan soon as I have a constant pain in my left side since having Pluresy. My doctor is completely baffled. My husband sent me to a private doctor who came up with possible CFS as she was also completely baffled.

I have a very healthy diet and am following slimming world although I am not as strict with myself as I was previously.

Once again thank you for your comments and help. I completely understand that it may not be CFS so will keep a open and positive attitude. 😁

• Posted

A pleasure to try to help. I have had ME for 22 yrs. Is moderate to severe And started with shingles three months ago. Still having issues with that .

Is the best at to be positive. Was early for the Dr to suggest CFS though. I hope you can get some answers. X

• Posted

I have been told that I had shingles it wasn't that, then bowel infections or was not that. Had tests for thyroid problems and celiac problems also glandular fever. Nothing showing up. I just want to get back to work and hopefully stop hurting so much and feeling so wiped out.

Which I am sure everyone with a horrible debilitating condition does.

Thank you for your advice and I hope you feel better soon from the shingles.

• Posted

You know when you have shingles . it is horrendous . did you have severe nerve pain ,burning and. Rash ,? I had it before about ten years ago and was bad enough but this time very much worse. Plus it really exacerbated the ME .

That is the problem with ME/CFS. Other conditions and diseases have to eliminated first as do many have the same /similar symptoms. As I said before , at this state it is vital you take things really easy . I carried on working for months not realising how unwell I was as nurse. Well I always will be a nurse just not practising anymore ! One day I was just about collapsed in the office. A colleague thought I was dead as I was motionless on a sofa. She was about to go on sick leave with breast cancer. She looked and felt really well. I was completely the opposite. She even used to say she was glad she had cancer and not what was ever wrong with me .As at least she new there was treatment ahead. I tried to return to work three times but it was impossible. I had to give in in the end. I was off sick for a full year but no better . i was forced to take ill health retirement in my late 30s . Because i carried on working etc is very likely why I am still so unwell after all these years. 100%housebound . so it would be wise for you to take things very steady at this stage. That includes taking time off work. X

• Posted

Hi Janet

I knew I didn't have shingles I just think the doctors do not have a clue what is wrong with me. I have started to feel a little bit better and am able to potter around the house but feel exhausted if I do too much ( which is nothing to what I would have done before March)

I am at the doctors tomorrow and will talk about a phased return to work and see what happens. I have just started a new job in April south is very difficult luckily they know means know that this is not normal. Thank you again for your help.😁x

• Posted

Hi Tracey

I really wouldn't rush back to any kind of work. I know it is hard having just started a new job,. But your health is everything. If you are not well you will have difficulty doing your job. And pushing too far could result in exacerbating all your symptoms . Could result in not being able to do your job at all. And aside from your job, you need to consider other factors. Getting up and getting ready to go. Getting there , however you travel expends a lot of physical and mental energy. Once there , interacting with other people . then the journey home. So even if you think you could do a few hours at work, you need to remember all these other factors.

You are only just starting to feel a bit better so just go with that for now . take each day as it comes. You could well feel dreadful tomorrow and for no apparent reason.. Is of course up to you , but personally I would remain off sick for the time being. I learnt the hard way! And look how I ended up. Take care x

• Posted

Hi Janet I went back to the doctor and she has given me a sick note for a month. God so frustrated I have tried to do some normal things and am shattered afterwards. Spent the afternoon in bed after a couple of days pottering around the house and walking my little dog.

I have to drive for half an hour to get to work and have a job where I am on the phone and talking to people all day, I really don't think I can do it. So frustrated as I have started to look a bit better so was hoping that I was improving. Will just have to listen to my body. Thank you for your reply.x

• Posted

Hi Tracey

You have done the right thing staying off work. It isn't as if you would be sat quietly all day. Talking for even short periods is exhausting. Don't be frustrated about how you might look. A major ME thing is that many people look fine . which is misleading because the realty is far from it. It provokes people to say things like well you look okc. Or you don't ill. Good response is well you don't look clueless!

Do indeed listen to your body. Just take things gently ..try not to overdo it on days you feel even slightly less wiped out. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.