Possibly Thyroid issues - Can't get help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 29 year old woman from Australia. For years i have suffered from severe headaches and migraines, unexplained weight gain, depression, skin dryness and general fatigue. In my family there are two close cousins that have been diagnosed with thyroid issues and they have received medication that has helped them. 

I have been going to different doctors explaining my symptoms and telling about my family background. They have taken the usual tests but found me to be "just on the border line". So instead of looking at the whole picture of my well being they stare at the numbers. Making things worse some say "it's only in your head. i recommend therapy'. It is common for those suffering from thyroid issues to be sent to therapy due to fatigue and depression. What is frustrating is that doctors will not even consider a trial period on medication to see if it would effect my whole well being. I am going to therapy now for over 6 months. The swelling and weight gain hasn't stopped neither has my headaches. 

Anyone else with similar experiences? did you receive help? any experienced advice what to do and if there is something i could do home to help myself? For example i use iodized salt as iodine supports thyroid function and i take multivitamin supplements. Btw, i eat healthy and exercise everyday.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

As I understand it once you start on thyroid tablets, you cannot stop taking them, I suspect thats why the Dr's would be reluctant to give to you especially seeing you are only 29. 

Are you eating alot of salt to try and make up for your iodine deficiency, side effects of alot of salt could be weight gain, but its retaining water rather than fat, you should not be adding salt to cooking water, and or  using it as a condiment, not really good for you, and you usually get plenty through breads, and have a look at soup packets, tomato sauce, almost anything tinned is full of salt, frightening how much in some, in the 1000's of gm's.

How is your blood pressure.

iodine souces, eggs (freerange farm raised), kelp, whole grain products, green vegetables, (nothing in anything green that is going to put on weight), you can eat as much as you like, just watch the dressings, corn on the cob, YUMMMM, fresh wild caught seafood, tuna, (yes you are allowed tinned), look for good quality, and not too much salt, prunes, cheese, yoghurt, again watch for the better quality natural yoghurts, not loaded with sugar and or salt.

I am also in australia and have a very low thyroid count, its lacking in our soils, so we have to be aware, and my husband has heart failure, so we have to eat low salt diet, nearly everything we eat is prepared from scratch I'm afraid, and yes it does taste bland for about a month, but you do get used to the lack of salt, cornflakes to me now are salty, and I don't like them very much any longer, we add parsley, onions, herbs and spices, some we grow, ginger, tumeric, oregano, tarragon, chives, others we buy from the supermarket.

• Posted

Whar are your TSH, t3,t4 and thyroid antibodies boderline results?

i know you say you eat healthy but the important thing is it's healthy for you. If you are gaining weight maybe it's time to tweak a little.or introduce good bacteria into the gut. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.