Post 2nd knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had my 2nd TKR 5+ weeks ago and can't quite remember how quiclkly l progressed with my first until today when l realised 5+ weeks following the first TKR l attended my granddaughters birthday party and l was more advanced to what l am today.

my main concerns are discomfort at the back of my knee and pain when trying to straighten the leg..

l attended physiotherapt assessment 10days post surgery and he tried to straighten my knee causing extreme pain for the next 5 days when l went for my next appointment was told he possibly tore? Muscle which had started healing. 

This is so disappointing as l did so well last time x fingers l will make an eventual total recovery.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have talked to many people who have had b 96th knees done, a couple of those were bilateral. I have only found one or two that has the same results with both knee. Generally one or the other is really much slower and More painful than the other. As far as advice.....talk to your surgeon. It may require a much slower method of rehab or there's actually damage that would have to be manually corrected. I would however stop the overly aggressive therapy
  • Posted

I told my physical therapists up front that I was a VERY HARD worker and would do all that they asked me to do and more. In exchange for my cooperation, I asked them to NEVER push or pull my leg/knee and to go slowly without sudden movements. I explained that I have been doing yoga for many years, and my body responds very well to calm, gentle stretches and holding the stretch so that I can increase the depth of the stretch and achieve greater movement.

They listened, and I was able to work WITH them as they helped me through my physical therapy.

Nobody knows our bodies better than WE do! We all need to speak up so that injury doesn't happen!

I am SO SORRY that you had trouble at your physical therapy session! Pain should NEVER happen while doing an exercise. The exercises should stretch us and strengthen us and tire us out, but they should never cause harm.

I hope you are feeling better today!

I hope you will let your therapist know what happened.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad.

Knee replacement people are WARRIORS and have more courage than most people!

Your body will bend and straighten IN TIME.

Everyone is on a different timetable because we are all different and have different SURGICAL experiences and levels of damage to our knees going into surgery.

Wishing you healing and courage to speak up so this never happens again.

• Posted

that same thing happen to me I end up strecting my IT band, that was eight weeks ago and better now. 
    • Posted

That sounds reassuring thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.