Post 8 weeks op on bunion but left big toe leaning inwards

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi just wondered if anyone knew why and if this has happened to you

I am 8 weeks post op on left foot Hallux Valagus op

Two pins in side and staple in big toe to hold it over

I rang the hospital two weeks ago and voiced me concerns that I felt it was going over, twice I rang and nobody got back to me so I took it as I must of been over reacting as foot was swollen

Have apt today for X-ray and the big toe is leaning inwards

Consultant was concerned , she said I may have to have further surgery in six months if this doesn't correct itself

She said it is swollen but that wouldn't make the toe lean inwards

I have gel spacers which are fine but after a bit toe leans inwards again

She insisted I havnt done anything wrong it's just how he toe has reacted to surgery

I am hating the fact it's not really worked and all this for nothing!

Has this happened to you? Do you know why it happened

Any information will be gratefully received

Thankyou

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

I understand your frustration. I had surgery in july 2016 that was unsuccessful. Had to have another operation in jan 17 ; im now 6 weeks post op.

The first op was very painful and my foot was swollen for about 4 months after.

Because of this experience i was dreading the second op but it was a totally different experience. Only needed 4 doses of codiene and am bavk in normal shoes already!!

Good luck!!

Jo

• Posted

My big toe is turning in also my Surgeon said they have the tendency to turn in. But the bunion at the side is gone and toe is much straighter then it was. I still wear my spacer.
  • Posted

I am 10 weeks post surgery, (also have two screws), my foot is still swollen, but my Podiatrist stated that "it will straighten out once the swelling goes down". I also wear those gel spacers. I go in on this Thursday to hopefully get fitted for some orthotics. My Podiatrist did say the most important thing, (since getting my cast off 3 weeks ago), is the "work" the knuckle at the base of my big toe. Apparently after surgery like we had, it is necassary because the toe does not naturally move at that joint after adolesence? Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks for the info

I've been wearing a gel spacer but toe seems to still lean inwards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.