Post A P repair and HRT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello ladies I’m back! I hope you are all healing and doing well.

After my op 10 weeks ago my consultant prescribed continual HRT tablets. I have been menopausal for over four years.

After two months of meds I started bleeding. I’ve now had a period type bleed for six days with real dragging lower abdo discomfort just like a grotty period. That on top of trying to recover from surgery is a Royal Pain! Has anyone else experienced this and if so how long did they bleed?

I have spoken to my consultant who suggests continue for now but if it doesn’t settle he will change the prescription. 

I know break through bleeding is possible.

Thanks in advance 💜

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Good to hear from you but sorry that you have been thrown another curve ball to deal with. I am on HRT patches rather than tablets and for the last few months. I haven't had breakthrough bleeding and I don't have periods anymore following endometrial ablation but do get swollen tender breasts which I think is when the oestrogen is building up with the HRT and with my own hormonal changes plus  occasional deep pain in one of my ovaries.....and for years I used to get pain at ovulation. I hope you get some useful information from ladies who have had a similar experience to you or there may be some useful info on the menopause and HRT part of this site. All the best, and hope you continue to recover well.

• Posted

Hi Tedhead! How are you doing?

Thanks. Yes very tender breasts! Just a bit frustrating after no bleeding for years. However I used to have a really hard time of it and pain in ovulation too, interestingly. I was 9 when I started menstruating so it was  wonderful to see the back of it all. Hopefully this won’t last too long. Thanks for your reply. I’ll see if I can find any threads.

You take care too x

• Posted

Just read my post Tedhead 😂. Sorry Redhead !

• Posted

Paddiwhack

im just over 12 weeks post op anterior/posterior repair and have been bleeding on and off for the last 4 weeks. My post op bleeding stopped after about week 3 but then I got this heavy feeling and on it came! I think it seems worse as I’ve been told not to wear tampons so it’s very visual on pads. I’m seeing my GP next week to see if I can get some answers. Prior to this my period were getting to be months apart which was lovely!  I’ll let you know how I get on.

• Posted

Hi Tannerbird thanks for your reply. My bleeding is not post op but breakthrough side affect caused by the HRT ☹️

I found post op if I over did it a bit I would bleed again so do be careful. Good luck with your on going recovery 

• Posted

Hi paddiwhack. I had bleeding when I first went on hrt which settled diwe over a few months. When my gp doubled the done however I started bleeding really heavily and gp panicked sent me for scan xray and hysteroscopy (youch). Turned out I had small fibroids and the inctease in oestrogen was making them bleed. If your bleeding doesn't settle down it might be worth asking if this is a possibility. Good luck! 😊 x

• Posted

Hi Lizzie60

Thank you so much for your response.

My low dose has been fabulous for my symptoms until this. Having recently had surgery it’s inconvenient as I can’t use symptoms either! I understand it is quite common in first months so I hope it passes. I do have small fibroids so that’s a good one to be aware of.

Thanks. If it doesn’t settle I’ll go back to my consultant  . Hope you’re well . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.