Post Abdominal Hysterectomy on 17/6/17

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm I week post abdominal hysterectomy, removal of tubes but Ovaries were left. My consultant said I had strong stomach muscles, so not sure if that has any bearing on how sore my incision is?. I'm trying to move about as much as possible, On day 5 I had a shower (with help) but then day 6 noticed my incision had bleed. I'm now worried I did too much. I've slowed down and only move to use the bathroom and occassional drink. Would just like some advice, tips on how people felt a week in, thanks in advance xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Did you have the new way laproscopic or the old way like I had 4 weeks ago? I'm cut from side to side and still swollen and sore and in pain!

• Posted

Hi Lisa yes I was cut, sounds like you had the same?, so this is normal then lol.

Thanks

Pauline

• Posted

It's very very important to keep moving about. You will take longer being in pain and also at much greater risk of DVT. You need your circulatory system working well to aid healing. You SHOULD be going for short walks around the house every hour. Of course you should be able to take a shower. A little bit of bleeding is expected. You've got a raw wound. But you never said how much it bled? Did you have a drain post-op? If yes, it could have just been the last of what was in that site that hadn't escaped yet as you were laying around too still. Get on top of pain with medication so that you can shower & move about. You're not going to do any damage from moving about. Just walking around house regularly. Get up & get dressed each morning and go sit in a chair. No Dr. or Nurse sends a patient home to bed post-op. If your pain meds aren't working then phone your Dr's office for advice & more medication or better regime. Keep a pad & pen with you and record when you're taking them so that you take them on time & not wait till last ones have worn off & you have gotten into too much pain again. Time shower for between 30-60mins after taking pain meds.

• Posted

My statement at beginning should say "you will be in pain much longer and much greater risk of DVT if you don't keep moving about".

• Posted

Hi Robyn, thanks for you reply yes I am moving around. it did not bleed alot just adviced if it bleed to change it, so I have. I don't want to encourage infection. Yes I did have a drain but the dressing was changed following this due to bleeding. I have been getting up and dressed each day, but hospital adviced to have conitued hospital rest for two weeks, once home, so just wanted some tips from others.

• Posted

It's very early days for you. There is a guide on i think the hysterectomy association site, (sidebar link), which gives appox recommended times for activities. Everyone's surgery is different, even for the 'same' type of surgery. Mine involved major adhesiolysis as well, so recovery was extended.  Rest when you need to. Need to sleep can overwhelm you at times. Other times you will feel great, tons of energy-those are the dangerous 'over do it' times, resulting in all sorts pain, discomfort and bleeding etc and of course the joyous swelly belly 😕   

One week in is nothing in great scheme... But even when you feel great, it is the internal healing that needs care the longest. Most folks find 'out of sight, out of mind' and try to rush recovery, dont...it is called major surgery for a reason, and we only get one shot at decent recovery to prevent future problems.

very best wishes

KarenG

• Posted

Hi Karen,

great advice tips thanks you, I will have a look at the site. Yes its easy to forget the inside workings. Also as you said everyone is different and therefore their surgery. 

thanks

Pauline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.