Post ablation and problems with exercising

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Just writing this is to see if anyone has had this problem.

A little bit of background information. I had an ablation 11 months ago for SVT. Since having an SVT attack and the ablation I have been really worried and anxious to get into exercise (recommended by the hospital and im not the most fit person) because i don't like feeling my heart beat in my chest as it scares me. I bit the bullet and went to a bounce fit exercise class on Monday. during the exercise i kept up and felt okay the entire time (it lasted an hour) however 15minutes after stopping my heart rate went to 136bpm and i felt slighty unwell. this of course caused me to panic. i got home and felt much better however my heart rate stayed between 115-120bpm three hours after i had finished the class and an hour of this was even after i fell asleep (according to my fitbit) i wanted to 111 (non emergency care line) to get advice but decided to go to sleep as im so anxious about it sometimes i get made to feel that this is all in my head. this is the first time i have exercised after ablation and i was worried about it before i went (also had a very stressful day) I went to the doctors yesterday and he is referring me back to the hospital. however i had recently been there and had 48hour ecg and everything was fine they told me the ablation was 100% success and there is no reason i should be having problems and if its my anxiety causing me to feel things that might not actually be there 😕. Has anyone experienced this after exercising. its something i want to carry on doing or maybe i should of started slower instead of going to a quite intense class.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Why don't you work up to exercise rather than going straight in and doing a class?

• Posted

i would advise that you start any new exercise with low cardio as a rule.

Jumping straight into high intensity with no base is a bit mad for anyone.

Build your aerobic base slowly over time.

i would say you are panicking a little.

its not surprising that you had an elevated heart rate, as your body just would not be used to it.

i have an SVT, i choose to live with it currently. i kinda do low intensity exercise.

SVT is always worse when stressed, tired or sick I find, otherwise manageable for me personally.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, yea I think I was silly to jump in at the deep end now I have read everyone's comments and have thought about it properly. I feel a bit reassured now 😃

• Posted

Your first exercise in 11 months and you did a bounce class? Whatever that is it sounds intense.

I suggest you work at improving your overall fitness slowly and build up.

I haven't had ablation but was terrified of exercise after a treadmill test triggered SVT.

My cardiologist stressed that exercise is good for the heart as long as you warm up and increase it gradually it. I followed his advice and have made good progress doing pilates, walking, weights and even a little treadmill / cycling.

I have found that what increases my heart rate can be as random as walking to the kitchen and yet I can do a brisk 2 mile walk and it barely goes above 120.

• Posted

Yea thanks for this after reading comments I have realised I was probably a little stupid to do that. I feel a little bit better knowing this might of been self inflicted rather than the SVT coming back or that something terrible is wrong with my heart or something. Though when I spoke to my Doctor about it he didn't say anything of the sort and has referred me back to the hospital. I could wait months to be seen but now I feel like i'll probably be wasting there time 😕

• Posted

Hi Rachel

I had my 4th ablation August 2018 which unfortunately didn't work. After seeing my cardiologist in December and going through the results of a week long Holter monitor I am on the list for a 5th ablation. However as my medication was obviously not working we changed into ones I have not tried.

Now I have not felt this good in about 6 years and decided to start some regular exercise, swimming. The first time I went, after 1 length my heart was racing and I didn't feel good at all. So sat on the side and hoped it would pass. Obviously I knew doing exercise would automatically raise my heart rate but it was nowhere near the 190/200 I had previously been used to.

I continue to swim and each time I go notice a difference in my stamina and how I feel afterwards and I will just build on this.

Perhaps as previously said start off with a less strenuous activity and work up.

Hope it all goes well for you, you will get there I'm sure.

• Posted

Thanks, yea I defiantly think i'll start slowly and hope it doesn't happen again and my heart acted like that because I went in to fast rather then there being anymore issues with my heart fingers crossed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.