Post ablation arrhythmia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Many questions but the most difficult is the strange beats I've had since s v t ablation 2 wks ago. I've not had a s v t bout but many missed and extra beats. Is this something that sometimes happens in the recovery process? It's actually more unsettling than what a had the procedure for. Very fearful that something went wrong?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ross I have the same extra beats and the doctor said it is normal. For me is like the heart wants to try to do a svt but he can’t. The doctor said that if I want a monitor he can put it. but I don’t want it. I prefer to wait a little bit more. But don’t be anxious that doesn’t help to you and to your heart. Blessings
    • Posted

So glad I visited this site. I was feeling like I was all alone with this but I'm finding this is very common. Thank you and best wishes to you as well!

• Posted

What you are experiencing is normal, as the ablation insulted your heart and it takes a good 3 months for the heart to heal. I had a little shortness of breath and was very tired. You need to give it more time. I had palpitations too but they eventually all went away. It’s a shame that doctors don’t tell their patients the after effects of an ablation. I had to find out for myself and after I called the doctor they told me it was all normal. 
    • Posted

Hi Linda thank you for your rely! Its very comforting to know I'm not alone with this. The frustrating thing is that I've had conversations with my doctor and staff and all they said is everybody responds different? I'll try to relax and let it heal! Thanks!

• Posted

When I asked why they didn’t tell me about the after effects of my ablation, they also said everyone was different which is very unfair. Although I’m a nurse, I still needed to be informed. I also had chest fullness for several months. As a nurse they should have told me that this is what can happen but it doesn’t happen to everyone. 
  • Posted

Totally normal!! I had my ablation for SVT April 2017 and for a good few weeks after I experienced the same as you. Just take it steady and try not to worry 
  • Posted

Glad you're feeling better about your situation, Ross.  I, too, had lots of strange beats after my ablation, and continue having lots of extra beats many months later.  The really good news, and what we hope for you, is no SVT.  It might help you to know that "strange" beats are, in general, very common, and healthy hearts tolerate them very well.  Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi, I had a catheter ablation 4 years ago for svt, the procedure worked but 'apparently' a nerve was caught and my heart went into atrial fibrillation and i was put to sleep to have my heart shocked twice to get it back into a normal rhythm. Ever since that ive always suffered with skipped/extra beats, they seem worse after eating and when I'm stressed. I was told its 'normal' but its always worried me, but i guess we have to trust the experts hey 😉 

• Posted

When I had my ablation a year ago, they found 5 arrythmias. svVT(which they fixed, afib, aflutter, atrial tachycardia and asthmatic tachycardia. I was told they can’t fix all of them. I take medication now. I was also told that afib can never be fixed but can be managed by ablation or medication. Also was told if the other arrythmias can be fixed or even just one, would the other rear their ugly heads and start bothering me and I was told yes! I’m also told it’s genetic- thanks a lot! 
    • Posted

That was my biggest concern, that something would go wrong during the procedure. Then I was told after that they weren't able to induce the svt but he ablated anyway. Didn't think they did that but supposedly he is a very good Dr. He is a Dr. that uses percentages like he said before the procedure there was a 1% chance of complications and 80% chance of success even without being able to induce. Just kind of makes you wonder what they're freezing if they cant see a bad pathway? So far no svts and yesterday I golfed 27 holes with only a couple of odd beats...trying to live normal and not get too freaked out!

• Posted

Hope the medications are working well for you without too many side effects. Before my procedure I was on low dose metoprolol which stopped my svts but really hated the lethargy because I'm pretty active. So I stopped taking them and the svts came back so I had the ablation.

• Posted

Did he tell you that the ablation was a success? My cardiologist that did my ablation told me that there was only a 5% chance it would come back. It's hard not to get freaked out sometimes. It takes 3 months for the heart to heal and until then there might be some odd beats.

• Posted

Hi Linda, after your ablation did you felt any xtra beats? How many months pass after your ablation. Mine was two months ago second ablation and I still feel xtra beats and sometimes arrithmia.  I stop the medication Metroprolol one month ago The dr told me that it could be anxiety because he ablates what was wrong. Can you inform me if you still feel xtra beats
    • Posted

They never told me about complications what happened to me! When i asked why it happened he just said it sometines can and not to worry about it!! Telling someone like me not to worry has the opposite effect, i try and live normally but the ectopics get quite bad and i often feel like the svt is trying to come back, or have other weird flutters of arrhythmia. I take verapamil to help but i dont think it does much to be honest. 😕 Looking back, i think I'm still glad i had the procedure as the svt's were horrendous and always needed an ambulance trip for the dreaded adenosine 😣 Its good to hear other peoples stories and know we're not alone in this 🙂

• Posted

I did feel extra beats after my ablation- keep in mind that it takes 3 months for the heart to heal and until then you may experience more but they go away after the heart is healed. I don’t agree with the anxiety theory. 
    • Posted

Having arrythmias after the ablation is not complications- it’s the heart healing itself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.