Post Adrenal Insufficiency Primary

Posted , 3 users are following.

I will appoligize in advance this post may be lengthy; History: 3/2017 had an left adrenalactomy. (Cushing’s Syndrom)Placed on HC 30mg per day. 1/2019 after a stim test was ordered because my numbers looked good we began to ween me off of the HC because the right suppressed adrenal gland began to wake up. Numbers made sense to me and was eager to ween. I was finally off them by 4/2018 and feeling pretty good. Through my journey with undiagnosed cushings I’m guessing since 2005 I have undergone,having my thyroid removed (large nodules non-cancer) osteoporosis -2.5, cateract surgery, several colonoscopy with over 50 palyops removed had to have several, stomach ulcer rapid intentional weight loss from 195 to 130, muscle waisting. I am doing really well until... it seems when I have emotional stress, it seems to effect my whole body, ie family, work, seems someone always need something after a period of a few weeks it hits my whole body pain from head to toe, almost like a bruise feeling like I have over exersized, upset stomach and exhausted, lack of modavation.  Today I finally couldn’t take it any longer people could see it in my face, keep being asked if I’m okay, I went home went to bed and slept for 4 hours, when I woke up headed right for carbs got an upset stomach and still in excruciating pain. I may have made an unconventional decision and took 10mg of HC within 20 minutes I was feeling remarkably better my whole aditude and physiology pain went from 0 - 9 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being good. What happened and should I talk to my Endocrinologist when I see him next week. Has anyone else done that. I take 1 50mg Tramadol & 1mg of clonazapam before bed to help me sleep better. And the only other medication I am on is Armour Thyroid, my t3 is high but everything else is normal. Is what i am experiencing normal or should I avoid HC at all cost? Below are my Cortisol levels. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

First, give all this info to your endo. You have written it down so hand it over, that way you can't forget anything and there won't be any misunderstandings.

HC is a synthetic copy of cortisol that your adrenals should produce anyway so if they are not then you absolutely should be taking it. But don't ask us, ask your endo. Some people panic when they hear "steroids". Well cortisol is a natural steroid that you have been "taking" since before you were born. The issue is steroid abuse, overdosing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.