Post adrenalectomy question

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my Left adrenal gland removed last Thursday as well as the 6.5 cm mass that was growing on it. I am awaiting the biopsy results. I was released last night and am taking hydrocortisone.

Since the operation I have been weepy over silly things and feeling really down. Is this normal?

I have been told to try to be as active as possible by the consultant but all my friends and family keep telling me to rest. How active is active?

I'm sore but not in pain but right now just feel like giving in. I'm in tears as I'm writing this.

Please could anyone else who has had this operation give me some advice?

Thank you x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hiker,

I too had my left adrenal gland removed seven months ago.  It caused me to have cushings.  For two weeks after I had anxiety.  I did not have to take cortisone.  My doctor told me it would possibly take 6 months to a year for the symptoms of cushings to disappear.  At six months my blood pressure improved and I began to sleep better.  However, I am still waiting for many of the other symptoms to be gone so that I can feel "normal" again.  Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your reply.

I was told I had to have the operation on Christmas Eve last year but due to a mix up at the hospital only got the operation last week.

The strange thing is I wasn't weepy before the operation when I was over producing cortisol.

The last time I felt the way I am now I was suffering from a nervous breakdown and am concerned that it might be happening again.

Emma x

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I really think you are feeling that way due to your system's reaction to the surgery.  If it concerns you, mention it to your doctor.  I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi, im currently in Hospital awaiting my Operation to remove my Left Adrenal Gland which is booked for tomorrow. I cant offer you advice on how you are feeling Post Op but i can assure you from what i have read from other patients both on here and while i have researched this illness is that its 'normal' for you to feel like this. Its apparently to do with the drop in the hormone?! I also read that maybe your dose of needs topping up?I hope this puts your mind at rest a little.

I hope you can now help me out! smile I am a little scared about tomorrow and what to expect. I have been told after the OP i have to go on High Dependency Unit for 24hrs and then be moved to a surgical ward for about 3 days - is that correct? Was this your case aswell? Whats it like when you come round from the OP, pain etc?

Many Thanks in Advance

Caroline x

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

Good luck with the operation. That was what happened to me. In HDU you are closely monitored and I had my own nurse just looking after me. The pain is managed well and you usually just have to ask and they'll give you more if you need it.

I was moved to the surgical ward the following day and spent 4 days in there. Because then you have more patients to each nurse the wait for pain relief can be longer. I found it best to space my tablets apart so that as one was starting to wear off, another would be starting to kick in.

Most of the time I wasn't in pain but really sore. It hurt to breathe deeply, cough or walk to begin with but it did get easier.

Strangely I had more pain in my back and shoulder!

I hope this helps put your mind at ease.

Take care and let me know how it goes.

Emma x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.