Post ankle pin and plate surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

please help! I am 7 weeks post pin and plate and feel like I'm taking ten steps forward and 100 back at present. Want to start walking without moonboot as its rubbing against my very slow healing wound. But the pain is too much. The wound is giving me some jip..but GP does not think is infected. I have been on 3 course of antibiotics already so reluctant to go on more unless vital. The pain is preventing me doing my exercises as is the wound. Maybe I'm moving too fast!  Feel very low today. On ibuprofen and Panadol. Any suggestions fellow sufferers?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry about your pain. I am 6 weeks post surgery and not weight bearing yet so I have no experience with trying to walk in the boot, yet. I can relate to the steps forward and many back feeling as ever since I got into the boot the swelling is intense when I'm up. I had a fracture blister that the surgeon used antibiotic strips on (almost like a large band aid with anti biotic on it) and that worked quite well to aide the healing. I hope things start to go well soon.

• Posted

Thankyou. Yes I had an ab strip on wound...but playing up again. Convinced it's the boot rubbing. Decided to try trainers today with two crutches around house, except stairs, just to give wound a rest! Good luck xxx

• Posted

I am ten weeks post surgery,and I have 11 pins and 2 plates.I have been wearing my air boot since the 5th of September and I have ,hoping, just another ten days of boot. Dont weight bare without boot until you have been told too.My ankle often feels rubbed in boot,so I take off boot when I can to move it. I have had real low days but I promise you there will be end in sight.Take a deep breath and I think too ,one day at a time .
  • Posted

Im 7 weeks post plate and pins operation, 9 weeks post fracture.

my wound is healing slowly too seeping if im doing too much, and rubbing again shoes etc. i wouldnt push too hard for movement at the moment im staying within my limits if im honest, will build as its grows looser. Everything to do with the foot is so ridiculously tight! i cant point my toes!! but its gradual improvement and will get there, just patient!

I am however walking outdoors aka limping in supported trainers with 2 crutches atm, but indoors i resort to hopping as ankle feels weak without the additional support.

Cant really advise more, i only had the cast off on friday so its baby steps for me and just relaying what the physio and doctor have told me to do. Was not issued a moonboot although i was expecting one!

• Posted

many many thanks. No I'm not in a rush to push further. Going to try trainers round house and boot outside and on stairs.

hate the moonboot now..but has served its purpose. Good luck x

• Posted

Bernadette, I m so sorry- and I totally understand. Got my cast off 2 weeks ago and was given a boot - wore it for 3 days and noticed the bigger wound (plates and screws) was not healing. Saw MD and given dressings and instructions - told to not wear boot cut I could walk without it and do limited ROM exercises. Was also given a brace for night to keep foot flexed. Past Friday looked better and today is horrible . I also was on antibiotics but told it did not look infected- but nonhealing. I sent a pic to my surgeon this morn and he has referred me to an ortho plastic surgeon for possible skin graft. I do not have diabetes and am like you- frustrated and so disappointed. So - still no boot as it can irritate the wound- I probably will never use it but right now- I just want the wound healed....
    • Posted

Sorry to hear your plight. Skin graft....oh gosh. I'm with you..want wound healed now. Put trainers on this Afternoon, and used two crutches. Boot on just for outside and stairs. Felt so weird! Physio didn't mind me partial wb with crutches inside house. It's so damn hard isn't it? Few tears today when hubby came home. And people think it's great being off work!! Not enjoying at all.

• Posted

I agree- there are 2 things folks say that that drive me crazy- and one has to do with an unplanned vacation and the other is when the wish you a speedy recovery!  I know they are just trying to show compassion, but really?  

I am starting 75% wt bearing today.  The doc said teh boot is really just to keep the ankle stablized so it is fine to walk w/out it.  I am doing ok without it, but would prefer to have it on.  I have not seen physio yet- that is supposed to start after i am done with the boot (if i ever get to wear it!)- early november.  But of course now I wonder if I have to have a skin graft- how long will that put me behind... ?  It is hard- you are so right!  I am using the walker most days- just feel safer- I am not really good with the crutches.  

I thought about posting a pic of the wound but don't want to scare anyone!

We will heal and walk again- keep our eyes on the future...  I cried after i was told that I have to see a plastic surgeon so totally understand....  

I am supposed to go back to work Nov 3 but of course I am wondering if that will happen- will have been out 14 weeks by then sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.