Post bartholin gland removal 6 weeks today what is the real healing time? Help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my gland removal surgery 6 weeks ago and my obgyn says it's healing fine and bruising and swelling went away and it's still tender but I've noticed that every now and then in the last 2 weeks I'll get this burning sensation where it was removed. She gave me lidocaine to numb the area when that happens, and estrogen cream to appy every other night for the next 30 days saying that will speed up healing. I told her I don't want to continue with the Vicodins. She gave me Aleve 550mg instead. Which I notice when I pee it burns after I take them. Has anyone had that burning sensation from either the area it was removed or from Aleve. I've switched to otc Tylenol now. She also said at 2 weeks things will calm down which they have but didn't tell me that sometimes it's not unusual to have pain in that area for quite some time. She had to take some stiches out 2 weeks ago that were deep that didn't dissolve and were making me uncomfortable and said that removing would help I don't know if that is causing the burning sensation and it's only on the outside not inside. My period is due in 6 days and don't know if that is making everything worse or if it's just part of the whole healing process. Help

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I didn't feel fully recovered  till a little after 8 weeks. The first six weeks were pretty uncomfortable but after  had some discomfort and some burning when I would pee. After the first 10 weeks post surgery, I really didn't feel too much of anything that had to do with the surgery. Hope this help. If you have any other questions let me know.

• Posted

I'll have something to look forward to in 4 more weeks. I'll be happy to resume wearing jeans. Did you get any bladder infections I've had 2 since then, probably from catheter she said.

• Posted

I didn't get bladder infections but my recovery was rough some of my deep stitches pulled and that was insanely painful. what makes it all worth it is the thought that you will not have to deal with that recurring pain again. It has really bettered my quality of life not having to deal with the cysts. in the long run you'll look back and be so happy you went through with it

• Posted

I had both of mine removed February 2016...pain was persistent for about 3 months...and then on and off for past 3 months. No trouble with ibuprofen. :-)
  • Posted

I had mine removed 3 months ago. I don't feel pain, only a bit tenderness when I touch the area. I think the pain you're feeling comes from the nerves regenerating. My doctor gave me estrogen cream as well and advised me to massage the area to stimulate the nerves... hope this helps. 

• Posted

I cannot answer your question, but would like to follow your post because I am scheduled for the surgery on Monday.
    • Posted

Reading other peoples experiences and answers has helped me a lot the last 6 weeks. Best wishes for Monday if you have any questions let me know.
  • Posted

Hello here. After a year, how do you feel now? I am experimenting with the same symptoms, burn feelings when I touch the skin, completely an outside pain where is my cicatrise. Thank.
  • Posted

I am 8 wks post op. and just now really starting to feel comfortable. My concern is the draining. I still have to wear panty liners. Is this normal? My doctor says I am healing fine, but how long will the draining go on???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.