Post brain decompression surgery pain relief

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my brain decompression two years ago. I have both chiari and syringomyelia. I'm in so much pain every single day, as most do. I've tried so much different medications, massages, you name it. Looking for any suggestions that you may have to help with the pain.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had my surgery last April. Iv had a little relief but I now have more symptoms. I'm lucky in the sense I don't have the syringomyelia. My neurologist has put me on a high dose of nortryptaline. It helps ease the pain..

I hope you get some relief soon

X

• Posted

Where's the majority of your pain? I luckily don't get the headaches. Mine is all upper back and neck. Does that medication help with that?
    • Posted

I have 6 slipped discs in spinal column. I get flair ups with them when I can barley move. My pain mainly is the top of my spine up and all over my head, feels like abuse sore bruise.then I get the pressure pains where it feels like my head will blow up. I have tramodol and gabapentin for spinal and nortryptaline for head. After the surgery the pain way worse and the nortryptaline really help ease it. I don't think we will ever be pain free. we must be really clever.. Too much brain to contain as they say lol x
    • Posted

Thank you for your help, I'm gong to find a neurologist here and discuss those medications with him. I moved from Florida to North Carolina so I'm having to start all over with doctors and it's not easy!
  • Posted

Hello I had decompression surgery 2.5 years ago. I had a syrinx the full length of my spine, it has reduced by 70% to date.

I am replying because I have been struggling with pain since surgery and have exhausted all the options so far as medication goes due to not tolerating the side effects. I currently take paracetemol and tramadol for the pain.

I have learnt that as my pain is neuropathic, drugs are not of any benefit to me when the pain is at it's worst. This is why I am suggesting that you look into pain management techniques such as mindful meditation (there is a great book by Danny Penman on the topic that really helps give you a proper understanding of your pain). The goal is to minimize the suffering that surrounds the pain. i.e. You may not be able to lessen the physical pain, but you can lower the worry and stress that comes with it.

Take it from someone who has experienced the panic of knowing that there is nothing that will help the pain when things are at their worst, the panic is just not worth it.

It is extremely difficult, but it is part of a process of re-wiring your brain's response to pain. With the right attitude, pain that is distressing and cruel becomes a simple irritation (like feeling cold).

Please do not feel patronised by what I am saying, I was not impressed when told the way to help my pain is to breath deep and think right! But it has given me back some control and stopped me feeling "attacked" by pain all the time. Hope you find some help, there's lots of people with a huge variety of experience on this site.

• Posted

Hi nihilo, I think what you said it is really make sense, but sometime it takes time for the brain to digest and take time to train and get used to it, it iz hqrd to start with..but as you get used to it..it will work..its good if you can to reduce the taking of the drugs, as drug is helping for temporqry only to manage but not curing it, but the side efect is not desirerable ..try to drink lots of water, I think..taking magnesium oil, rubbing all over you r body quite helpful as well..taking daily supplement that content vit D, Omega Oil, selenium, zinc, ORAC also good for healing..but always check with health care professionals first as every one is different..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.