Post Bunion Op footwear

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone!

I had bunion surgery (shaved bunion, and straightening of the big toe) six and a half weeks ago.

I am finally out of the blue shoe, back to work and rid of the crutches!

As much as I hated my blue surgical shoe, I'm now kinda missing it! None of my shoes fit, due to swelling, and I'm at a complete loss of what to wear! I'm a 30 year old woman, so vanity is getting to me too!! I have bought a pair on non flattering velcro sandals but even these are rubbing. Flip flops just dont feel supportive, and even trainers three sizes too big are too small right now!

I know the swelling will go down eventually but I need a solution for now. i'm scared of sqaushing my foot into the wrong shoe and undoing all the hard work! I'm more than happy with the shape of my foot now, so willing to accept a few months of crappy shoes but just need to find some!

Any advice greatley received xxx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Saz,

I have just had my bunion removed and my big toe straightened,i am worried about afterwards and the whole thing regarding recovery.I am im pain and i knew it would be but did not contemplate just how much.I got advice a while back and was told to wear FIT FLOPS you get shoes and also ugg style boots they have a built in support thats meant to help your feet.I have bought the Fit flops and am considering getting the boots.I was told to buy trainers from my consultant but not sure how my feet will be as they might be swollen for months.How are your feet now are they better and if theres any advice i will be very grateful honey thank you xxx

• Posted

I know this old post, but I wouldn't expect to wear shoes post 5 weeks.

I decided to buy quality shoes with comfort but not granny style.

A bit pricey but I only need a few.

Go to foot doctor and if d a good store like walking foot shoes or stans bootery. Good arch support. No flip flops unless it can support your arch like ortho heel or Google shoes good for bunions?

Good luck

I just threw out all my heels, bought a stylish earth dress shoe. I even got compliments.

Of course it will be awhile I am on day 10 post surgery.

• Posted

Please go to your pharmacy buying a pair of flat shoes having velcro straps which can be loosed or tightened to suit your foot. That's what I had to do because none of my shoes fitted me after removing the surgical boot because of swelling. I wore them for three months not putting any pressure on my foot which was good. Best of luck!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.