post bunion op severe sciatica

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, New to this, I had a 2nd corrective bunion op 13 months ago, pins screws etc after the op recovery went well, was back in a normal shoe after 15 weeks and hobbling after 8 weeks, problem is, after i started walking i had niggles of sciatic pain (never had this before) right lower back, butt cheek, down whole leg, im only 27. came and went every few weeks, but over the past week my sciatica has came on fast and hard, im in complete agony, i keep losing my footing due to pain and falling over, twice thats happened.

To be honest im just looking for peace of mind, has anyone else suffered sciatic pain after bunion surgery? could it be linked somehow? or am i just being a worry wart rolleyes any info would be great xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi there, i had double bunion and hammertoe correction 8 months ago, i am walking but sort of limping with the foot i had the hammertoe and bunion done.... and i can relate to what you are saying.... i get a sicky pain in my lower back, that i just want to bend over if i am out to rest it.... i had such a bad attack of it over xmas period i went to the emergency hospital because i thought i had kidney stones... i do think this is due to not being able to walk proberley... it so gets me down because like you know its a long journey after this surgery, my surgeon i would be up and running within five six weeks.... omg how wrong was he... even after all this time my toes are still numb and walking is quite painful, if i have had a day out, i have to take pain killers with me, and omg at night i do suffer for it, its like they are throbbing which again affects my back, my side and even my stomach..... your not alone hun, it seems there are lots of after problems that the doctors dont tell you about until you bring it to their attention, i do hope your having a good day today x
    • Posted

Yes, Thank god i thought it was just me lol. I can relate to everything youve just said, i was exact same especially the throbbing toes and foot at night (it does eventually go away) but i was prescribed sleeping pills at 6 week check to help me 'drift off' i slept like a baby for nearly 2 days after one pill, took a lot to shake them off though afterwards but did help me get a sleep.

Thank you so much for replying, peace of mind now, hope you have a speedy recovery xxx

• Posted

Can be linked, if your walking off balance or from favoring the other leg, you should definitely go to see a chiropractor, I had it before and the Chiropractor helped alot, good luck xo
    • Posted

Thanks mary, yeah im going to docs on Tuesday this week to see about it, had a terrible nights sleep last night due to pain shooting from lower back straight down to my foot, will let yous know how i get on xxx
  • Posted

Hi Mags

apologies for the delay, I have only just picked up your post..............yes, I too have had the same, to the point where I have had to resort to physiotherapy. My operations was in December 2014 on my right foot with pins and screws. I also was walking okay fairly soon after but over the months, walking and sleeping became so uncomfortable but the pain felt as though it was coming across my lower back and down my right leg, at one point I was convinced I had a blood clot, (I am a bit of a drama queen though). however, my physio said it was because I was compensating by resting my weight on my left leg when I stood still and then of course, having a bunion for so many years we all walk to accommodate it and then have to change our 'gait'. My godsend has been the new range of Clarks brogues and flat shoes with a slightly raised arch orthotic.

I also decided that I wouldn't have the second op..............for a while anyway.

Get some physio and it will improve dramatically, good luck and you are not being a worry wart! lol 

• Posted

Thanks sandra, went to docs on tuesday and he said the exact same as what you have cheesygrin i have been given the slightly raised insoles for shoes and i must say, what a difference after only a few days, i actually feel more in balance too, i was also given a bunion strap to hold my toe in place while i sleep as due to screws and pins, and the way i sleep *starfished in middle of bed* i tend to curl my toes which is making it lean back over sad so im taking every step to prevent a 3rd op cry.Heres to the bunion club cheesygrin Thank you for your reply xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.