post bunion operation

Posted , 9 users are following.

Yesterday i had my bunion operation. I had big toe correction and bone set and the same on the little toe. I am hucked up to a drip and a special morphine drip which i can control to a certain stage haha and oxygen. The hospital staff didnt elevate it and i had no sleep last night it started feeling tight and puffy my foot is still numb not sure if that's right. Iv not neen able to stand or walk last night  so thats been fun! Today ill see the doctor and find out how it went and what pins and screws iv got. The bandage is not as big as i thought and is only round the top half of my foot

Ill be given a heel shoe and im going to ask for at least one crutch hopefully for balance as living on my own most of the time. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Philippa.

10 days ago I sent a message to you and warned you about Tramadol.

Sorry to hear that you have not found it good for you.

Chuck them down the loo!!

If you're constipated  ( a common effect from taking large and/or prolonged doses of paracetamol, ibuprofen and other pain relief I'm afraid) get some dried or fresh apricots or some dates. Plums are als good for sorting out one's internal plumbing blockages.

Much better ad certainly more enjoyable than taking senakot or one oheother widely available constipation remedies.

Also, if you increase your fluid/water intake, and also, Ribena ( as this is blackcurrent) you may find your bowels become a bit more normal. In this hot weather the need to drink more anyway shouldn't be a problem. And, also, as it is very warm and humid at the moment our bodies are drying out more quickly so, the need to increase the fluids to compensate for what's lost through sweating is extremely important.

Lots of greens, tomatoes also will help.

Good Luck!

Gillian

• Posted

Yesterday i had the big bandages taken off i was rather shocked there is 5 wounds on my foot altogether two very large ones. It had been bleeding whilst iv been walking. And the pin heads had been digging into my foot causing pain.

They cut off the stitches knots as the rest is dissolvable. And only put  big gauge plasters over all the cuts, Which im aloud to take off all of the cuts apart from the pins. Which i dont feel comfotrable about with huge healing areas rubbing on that surgical shoesad also with no bandage it doesn't feel secure any body else have this?

Back in 4 weeks time for the pins out. Does anybody elses big toe gap now look huge? 

• Posted

Hi Phillipa

its all a learning curve isn't it and its hard to know what to do. I had a 

District Nurse take mine off last week and she rebandaged it. I just took mine off and was told to protect the actual wound put another Mepore covering on it. I am now wearing a thickish sock over it to protect that as I am the same as you - don't fancy the rubbing on the surgical shoe. I hope this helps! 

• Posted

Hi guys,

Selfishly isn't it kind of nice to have an operation so many people have had, it's effects people in a vast number of ways! I'm 9 days post op from a scarf and akin osteotomy! Unfortunately for me the blockers didn't work and when I awoke the pain was excruciating, they never tell you how painful it really is so naturally being me to think something went wrong! Before u went into surgery i was feeling quite ill up to 3 days before, the hospital decided that my temperature was safe enough to carry out the procedure, I had a dose of antibiotics afterwards and also realised I was allergic to cocodamol, I still get hot and cold flushes and shivering when my toes get cold, I was just wondering if anyone experienced anything like that and found it hard to get warm? Also my throat is like a razor blade also so eating is hard for me but I need it to take painkillers which I am only taking ibruprofen as paracetamol made me sick! I just want to know if anyone was ill after surgery and how they found made their body more comfortable?

Thanks for any replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.