Post bunionectomy bandage

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 3 days post minor bunionectomy and peeled back outer layer of latex bandage to find an area of 4"x3" dried blood in the gauze wrap that is hard.  I'm not scheduled to go into the doc's office for 10 days and super not happy with current situation.  When I called, they said it was fine.  Thoughts?  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

In feeling the hard area, it's more like 6"x5".  

• Posted

Has your doc instructed you to keep the incision dry? Can you change your own bandage...fresh gauze, etc? My incision was checked and bandage changed 2 days post by the doctor...then I had to keep it dry for another 2 weeks changing my own bandage during that time. Then he wanted to see me again after 2 weeks. My bandage was never bloody though. I'd call your doc again and get more info. Best to you!  
    • Posted

I was instructed to keep it dry. I feel competent to change my own as my mom is a nurse and I've a vast amount of experience. I would very much prefer to change it than leave this mess.

Thank you for your reply!

• Posted

Hi, I am 8 days posy op and have exactly the same situation. As long as the     Blood is dry then that's ok. Post op seepage is common. Probably better to leave the wound and bandage untouched. I have stuffed some cotton wool in around the dried bandage as its beginning to rub my bruised toes and annoy me. I also have 9 days before my next appt. 

good luck 

• Posted

it should be normal! when I had my bandages changed for the first time I was scared how much blood was on the bandage but its totally normal.and in was taking ibuprofen which causes more bleeding but was told to keep taking KT for swelling. just keep an eye on it but it sounds very normal especially for day 3

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.