Post cast issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dr removed my cast after a break in my fifth metatarsal - wore the cast for 7 weeks and have been trying to walk for 8 days now. I started with the knee scooter, crutches (didn't work), walker and now a cane. My ankle swells daily and the foot is very sore to walk on. Has anyone else experienced the SLOW recuperation?  Also I was taking Advil and I think I'm allergic as I've had hives or welts show up on my waist/stomach area. I'm sure there's more that could go wrong but I'm getting tired of this! smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I broke my ankle and 5th metatarsal (which needed a screw in it) almost 12 months ago, the foot is still sore, and still swells up if I'm on my feet for too long. Can't wear high heels, or soft bendy shoes, Dr recommended crocs and I can be on my feet longer in those. However I improve all the time, still do my physio excercises everyday, I look after my 10 month old Granddaughter most days and walking with the pushchair has helped no end. A little and often seems to be the key.

I know what you mean about hives, I have to take antihistamines every day otherwise I swell up like a balloon, perhaps you could try a different pain med.

Hope you notice an improvement soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the input.  I did go buy a pair of soft upper type shoes a half size bigger and I find my foot hurts less if I'm wearing shoes for support. Dr. offered a plate and screws or just a cast - so I went for the cast only, thinking I'd have less problems.   Enjoy that granddaughter - she's helping you get your footing back!

biggrin

• Posted

I broke mine in July last year. Was finally diagnosed correctly in Nov. And it was healing in Oct. I'm still in pain and cannot return to normal activity as well.. Pain is slowly getting better and only really hurts when I'm on it all day. It will heal give it time and rest. Good luck with the recovery.

• Posted

Sounds like you had some real issues with getting a correct diagnosis. I know what you mean about being on it all day. I managed to go to the office with my scooter, thankfully my old building is handicapped accessible. I recently worked a 12 hour day and only elevated my foot for half an hour - that can't happen often! Good luck with your recovery!
  • Posted

Hi Annie

I had 5 fractures in my metatarsals so like you plaster non weight bearing for 5 weeks then a boot which I was told to take off when I felt ready. Did for 2 weeks.

I used crutches, two while in plaster and down to one once out of the boot.

It took a while for the swelling to go (12 weeks) but I exercised my foot daily and went swimming every second day once the plaster was off. I also had to sit quite a bit with the leg elevated each day to reduce swelling.

I injured it at Easter - still was walking carefully over the summer but now am about 90% back to normal but it took a lot of hard work.

I am 64 so it does take longer if you are older.

Good luck - it is slow - but the exercise is essential. They told me a year to be 100% and that is probably about right

Alison

• Posted

Thanks for the helpful advice Alison. I'd love to find a place to do swim therapy but so far no luck during the winters here. I am 60 so I expected it to take a little longer to heal, but silly me thought I could heal in just a couple weeks, post cast.  I'll continue to work hard with the PT and slowly get my footing back. Good luck getting back to normal with yours. 
  • Posted

Good to hear all the hope and encouragement. It sounds like I'm just impatient. Since my ortho didn't suggest any PT I looked up some exercises to do with my foot. Looked into PT at the local healthplex and it's pretty expensive. I'll just keep up the foot exercises everyday and try to keep the swelling down by elevating every day. I'm still using a cane. Good luck to everyone who's going through the same type of issues - happy healing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.