Post cataract op

Posted , 10 users are following.

had my op 1 week ago today, just wondering how long it will take for the blurriness & irritation to stop ?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was pretty good at week 2 but week 3 blurriness came back but at week 6 it all cleared up.. You gotta really give it two mths for the complete heal. Your drops will help so continue to take them fir the 30 days. I do find now I buy drops for dry eyes which I never used to need before. I it's very early days 1 week later.

• Posted

Thank you Marie, that’s really encouraging & has put my mind to rest x

• Posted

I agree with marie55850. I had 2 kinds of eye drops to be administered 4 times a day. So I prepared enough blank spreadsheets with 5 columns (day/date, 8 AM, 1 PM, 6 PM, 11PM). Every day after the drop, I ticked below the specific time column). Read the instructions, my 2nd drop had to be taken FIVE minutes after the 1st drop. My first week, I did not wait for the FIVE-minute intervals, as a result my eye felt gritty, became red and uncomfortable.

My drops lasted me about 3 months. Other than that, I did not experience any blurriness or irritation.

Be sure not to bend over, squad or carry heavy pots and kettle for 4 to 6 weeks. Your newly implanted lens might get shifted.

• Posted

Hi sheena26239

Everyone heals at a different pace and what you are experiencing is normal.  Some people find the prescribed drops cause the irritation and blurriness and don’t see clearly till those are done while others see clearly much earlier on.  Just keep following the instructions and wearing your eye shield at night.   I recall being asked to wear that for one week but I tend to rub my eyes at night so I wore it longer.

You should be having a post op appointment at 6 weeks (some have it at 2 weeks) so if you have questions jot them down so you can ask your doctor.

• Posted

Every one are different . It took about a week or 2 for my eyes to feel better but healing continue to progress.

Continues your eye drops as instructed Your ophalmologist will check your eyes  make an appointment if it’s still bothering you with your vision. Do not rub your eyes. 

• Posted

Not only do people heal differently and at different rates, there are other factors that can affect your timeline.  I'm in week 11 and my vision is much worse than it was before surgery.  My doctor was very conservative in my eye drop regimen (1 drop per day post surgery).  As a result (I believe) we didn't get the inflammation under control and have been playing catch-up every since.  At one point, he had me instilling one drop of Prednisolone per hour for two weeks!  That reduced the inflammation somewhat but now I have corneal irritation because of the preservatives in the drops.  I don't want to alarm you, but don't be afraid to ask questions.  I should have after I read on the internet what the "usual" post-op procedures were.  Hopefully, your recovery will be nothing out of the ordinary.

• Posted

Thanks for that terry, sorry you’re having problems. Its early days for me yet , but we’ll see !
  • Posted

From what they told me after surgery is that the irritation should go away within 3-4 weeks,as for the blurriness,I'm not sure because I have had the blurriness for 8 weeks now and the surgeon has me schedule to have the cloudiness cleaned up on the back of my eye in two weeks, when he will perform Laser(YAG treatment) I'm still in doubt if this will make it better or worst.Still deciding whether I should have this done or live with the cloudiness.It's annoying .but I just don't want to have to deal with new complications by have this treatment.

Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones and your conditions improves with time.   

• Posted

Did you get both eyes done already?
    • Posted

I only had the left eye done, I am now 4 weeks post op. Still a bit blurry & strangely when compared with my right eye , things seem bigger ! Is this normal ?

• Posted

Yes normal when just one eye operated on due to difference in diopters between eyes.  Sometimes in weeks/month’s brain adjusts and adapts and it gets better.  Do you have a cataract in other eye as well?  If you don’t need cataract surgery for some time on other eye you can get a contact lens which should help balance your eyes. Ask for a few to experiment with to see if you prefer to see a little closer - perhaps a bit of monovision will give you better range of focus.  Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.