Post Cataract Surgery Sunglasses

Posted , 11 users are following.

I remember 10-15 years back, right after cataract surgery, patients were told to wear big dark sunglasses, almost like a welders goggles for several days. Then came the clear-lens sunglasses, and most would think what an improvement over those dark (somewhat ugly) sunglasses. These seem to be a thing of the past. Now a days, you are given an eye shield/patch, that's held by tape, at least in the United States. In countries like India, you are still given those clear sunglasses. And many doctors in the US don't even recommend the eye shield. It's a debate in the medical community, where some feel, it is not necessary to wear throughout the day, just in the night. Others feel, its 'safer' to have them wear it throughout the week post-surgery.

I would personally feel more comfortable with a pair of wrap-around sunglasses to protect my eyes from sun, dirt/dust/debris, harsh wind, water.

What does the community over here feel? If you have used sunglasses right after cataract surgery, which brand would you recommend?

Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had my operation done in Singapore and immediately after the operation they taped a clear plastic eye patch with small air holes in it over my eye.  I was told to wear it at night only for the first week after the operation (so that I didn't accidentally rub my eyes whilst asleep).  I had to use tape to stick it over my eye each night.

Surprises me that with all the amazing technology they have available for cataract surgery that they're still using tape for the eye patches!  Surely some enterprising person could have developed a better way to keep the eye patch in place by now.

• Posted

I received a one size fits all pair from my surgeon in a little kit, along  with one of those bulbous hard patches that you tape to your face.  The hard patch is intended to use while sleeping for the first three nights only post surgery.  I don't how long I wore the glasses.  It wasn't long though.  If you don't get a pair from your surgeon, I wouldn't spend too much money on a pair, as I don't think you'll need them for very long - a few days maybe.  Good luck.

• Posted

The sunglasses included in my cataract surgery kit was just for use while your eye is dilated for a day or so.  Also could be used when needed due to the eye being more light sensitive for a few days.

For the eye protection for the first week at night the kit included the usual plastic eye shield taped to cover the eye.

• Posted

Putting the eye-patch on the operated eye is to protect against inadvertently rubbing or scratching one's eye while sleeping at night. In the day time, a person can / should remember not to do that: so wearing the patch is not necessary.

• Posted

Hi luke, You are the first that I have ever read mentioning wearing protective glasses after surgery, I had both my eyes done in 2016, was never told to wear anything after surgery.  I did read afterwards that others wore either eye shieds or glasses.  I bought safety glasses, several pairs, I have a pair in my car a pair in my handbag and a spare pair at home cause I have managed to lose two pair, I wear them when im out and about all the time, they are quite smart glasses and keep out the wind and elements, smoke from street smokers and any other danger of getting anything in my eye, I particularly make sure I wear them in the garden.  I bought them on Amazon they were only £2.50 each and they are brilliant.  I just feel its safer to have glasses on to stop anything going into my eyes cause Im not sure how I would get anything out of my eye or even rubbing my eyes nobody has ever confirmed that there is no danger rubbing your eyes. I read Carozims remarks and agree with him/her I had a few mishaps after surgery and nothing on my eye when in bed and managed to bump it in the night, that was sore as you can imagine.  Again wearing the protective glasses when im out and about, for me is the best thing to do but its up to each individual.  You know that some people have to wear glasses all the time so whats the difference.

Regards Agnes

• Posted

After my cataract surgery, the surgery center didn't put any eye patch or gave sunglasses to me. Even after I asked for something to cover my eye after the surgery but they just didn't want to use any patch. My after surgery instruction sheet said there is no need for sunglasses because of the lens they used are UV protected. But I still bought a pair of wrap-around sunglasses just to be safe.

• Posted

Hi Orkinman

You and luke are the only ones I have read that believe in wrap round glasses to protect your operated on eyes, after my surgery I bought wrap around glasses but clear ones and I wear them all the time when out and about and especially in the garden

Regards

Agnes

• Posted

I was told that I should wear sunglasses outside during the day. Evidently my IOLs don’t have much sun protection. I find them comfortable against dust and wind. I am still using wrap around ones that can go over regular glasses but I wear them without glasses until my eyes have totally settled. 
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for sharing your input!!!

My doctor said it's a hit-&-miss with many hospitals whether they give sunglasses or not. The doctor offered me disposable ones, but I wanted something more durable. With that in mind, I decided to buy a pair of clear (for indoors) and smoked (for outdoors) safety goggles from amazon. They're perfect. UV 400 protection, scratch resistant, ANSI Z87.1 and CE EN 166 certified (passed stringent impact testing, so won't shatter), and stylish. Plus, they don't rock when lying on your nose bridge, or hurt the back of your ears. My Mom plans to use them even after recovery for outdoor work around the house. I don't get a commission saying all this lol. Just very happy that my Mom is "very happy" with them. PM me if you want the link to amazon (I don't think hyperlinks are allowed here).

As for the hospital supplying one or not, this is what I experienced first hand. They do supply a "kit" as acc925 also mentioned. Could just be my hospital though. The kit contains: a pair of wrap-around sunglasses with UV 400 protection, some sterile pads to put on the eye, an eye shield to put on top of the eye pads, and some tape to stick it on your face.

Whether the doctor covers your eye or not with the shield post-op, is really dependent on how your eye looks to the doctor. If it's bloodshot, or swollen or the doctor feels you would benefit from covering it, he/she would cover it, then discharge you. In the post-op care sheet they give, it mentioned "sleep in your normal position". At other places I've read it is suggested not sleep on the side the surgery was done and to wear the patch so you don't accidentally rub your eye and prevent dust particles from going in.

• Posted

Any time  one's eyes are dilated, whether it is after an eye examination with dilated eyes or after a cataract surgery, it is just easier on the eye to wear sunglasses. Also, any time there is the slightest chance that you may unknowingly rub your eye when you must not (for example, at night for a week or so after the cataract surgery), you should make sure that you can't do that by wearing an eye patch or something else. This is just common sense. If the hospital or the surgeon's office is too cheap to provide you those items as a free courtesy after the cataract surgery, that does not make using those items any less necessary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.