Post Cholecystectomy

Posted , 28 users are following.

It's been close to 13 weeks since I had my gall bladder removed, and I must admit that the pain I was having at my upper back area has gone, but the issue I also had prior to my operation was differences when visiting the toilet, my faeces are different day to day, but are mostly very thin in shape and light coloured.

Now the thing is I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy last year which ruled out anything serious, however they did find diverticulitis, and wondered if it was this that is causes my issues.

Has anyone that has had there gall bladder removed found anything similar?

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi! I came around this site cause I was looking for some answers to my questions and found your answers quite helpful.  I had my open cholecystectomy 3 weeks ago, my wound already healed yet I got this very uncomfortable irritating spasms in my abdomen just about under my incision....I have this horrid feeling that my liver is curling up or maybe a sponge may have been left during the operation that causes such uncomfortable spasm...I was told by one of my doctors that it could be some gas...however, i am not just comfortable about it....i want to know if you have this feeling also? I decided to go to my doctor tomorrow and ask for a whole abdomen ultrasound again just to have a peace of mind....hope this is just normal though smile
    • Posted

Hello almabane,

Thank you for your post.

It appears you had the cholecystectomy quite recently, 3 weeks ago to be precise, so I wouldn't be too concerned by the experiences you are describing, as the healing process begins you will feel the odd bit of discomfert from time to time, but if you are worried about it then you are quite within your rights to go have it checked.  Did the hospital not arrange for a follow up post op for you? I had to ask for one myself. Also remember that it's all about what you eat and drink after this operation, if you keep to what the hospital may have advised then this will help considerably. One question I wanted to ask, was it Keyhole surgery you had? I ask as I am not sure when you mentioned Open Cholecystectomy. 

• Posted

Spell checker obviously not working, lol, that last post should have read as discomfort.

We could well do with an edit button on here, say with a limit of a couple of minutes before the edit option is removed.

• Posted

Thanks Fred for replying...guess you're right bout it I am just too paranoid as I kept on imagining the worst smile The open cholecystectomy I mentioned is the traditional way of removing the gallbladder through an incision of 4-8 inches...I'm not comfortable with the idea of removing my gallbladder through laparoscopy so I opted for the traditional way of surgery.
    • Posted

Hi almabane,

By using the traditional method means your recovery is longer, honestly there is nothing to worry about with the laparoscopy, I am surprised a little that they used the older method, I would imagine that this was done private.

Are you doing ok just now?

• Posted

Hi Fred,

Thanks, Fred, I'm feeling okay so far though I can still feel some pain now and then.  I can now eat food that I like and I'm quite fortunate that I don't experience those things that others had experienced concerning their waste discharges.  What I did is, everytime I eat considerable amount of  meat I right away fresh fruits and vegies, at least half of the amount the meat I ate.  In such way, I can easily defecate and my feces look normal.  I have the comments of the people here regarding the color and substance of their feces, maybe it happened as the food they ate are too oily.  I was told by my doctor not to eat too much oily food if I cannot avoid eating it... [biggrin]

• Posted

Hi, I have had the results from my ultra sound scan and apart from a slightly raised liver count everything is fine. My liver count is 75 and aparently it should be about 50. Its a lot better than it was a year ago when it was 117. The feeling of a lump in my right side comes and goes. at the moment it has gone! I am starting to think that it could have something to do with what I eat. Sugar and dairy seem to sett it off. I suppose I will just have to keep an eye on it and see where it goes from here?
    • Posted

That's good to hear Sue.  with the report about your liver count being raised remember to keep off raised levels of alcohol, I am sure if you do take the occasional drink that you keep it to a low level.

Keep in touch. :-)

• Posted

Mmmm I would like to say yes to the alcohol. I have cut right down as is shown by the count and I know I have more to do, but going in the right direction. Hope that you are keeping ok now?

Sue

• Posted

I have deleted several replies in this discussion as the user was posting on various discussions promoting a blog site. If any user sees this kind of activity please use the "Report" link to draw it to my attention.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Oh I didn't realise he was promoting anything or else I certainly would have reported it, so thanks for letting me know about it.

Has the user been banned or has his posts just been deleted?

Regards. 

• Posted

I found this page whilst searching for more info following my endoscopy and colonoscopy and its been helpful to see that others are experiencing similar  symptoms following gallbladder removal. I had mine removed just over 2 years ago and have been quite poorly ever since. I have now been diagnosed with diverticulosis with severe diverticulitis and I have adenomatous sessil polyps in the duodenum. I had none of this prior to my gallbladder removal and I'm convinced the cause of all the discomfort, pain and hours on end spent in the bathroom are due to B.A.M (bile acid malabsorption). My usual doctor was away on holiday when i had my last flare -up, so i saw a locum, who had also recently undergone gallbladder removal himself and had obviously read up on this - he was very knowledgable and prescribed me with Questran powders (mentioned by an earlier post) which have been nothing short of a miracle in terms of giving me my life back, enabling me to eat out at restaurants and not panicking if I'm not within sight of a public loo when out and about.just wanted to share this with your readers as it may help them too. Good luck everyone and I hope you all find solutions to improve your quality of life. 
  • Posted

Today I have been experiencing a pain around the area that I used to have pain prior to gall bladder removal, this area is around inside the right shoulder blade area, I have had this previously since surgery but tonight it has bothered me longer as it usually disappears, so I am just wondering what it could be.

I am always worried that the clip that was used to shut off any ducts etc has moved or come loose, I hope that isn't possible but then again.......

I find when I have this pain that by laying down on my back often helps, or laying on one side, hopefully I won't require to take any painkilers but if I can't get to sleep for it I might just have to.

• Posted

Hi, Fred, I have the same symptons you have, diarreah, sharp pains, a pulse. I had my surgery six months ago, please tell me, did you ever find out what do you have? Did you found a solution? Thanks
    • Posted

I think it's just a pulse that happens from time to time, as long as it doesn't last too long per episode then I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't have much pain since gallbladder was removed.

The only worry I have is that I hope the titanium clip never becomes loose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.