Post Cholecystectomy

Posted , 28 users are following.

It's been close to 13 weeks since I had my gall bladder removed, and I must admit that the pain I was having at my upper back area has gone, but the issue I also had prior to my operation was differences when visiting the toilet, my faeces are different day to day, but are mostly very thin in shape and light coloured.

Now the thing is I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy last year which ruled out anything serious, however they did find diverticulitis, and wondered if it was this that is causes my issues.

Has anyone that has had there gall bladder removed found anything similar?

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i have had also my gallbladder removed had a major attack of gastritis felt like i had food poisoning with constant diarrhea about 30min after i eat its been almost two years and its just getting worse Help!!!
    • Posted

I've dealt with similar symptoms for a couple years now. I finally said enough was enough after a recent spell that left me dehydrated and unable to get out of bed for 2 days ( well except running to the bathroom frequently). So i set up an appt with a gastro doctor. He has prescribed me Cholestyramine, for what he is suspecting is Bile Salt Malabsorbtion. Which is a common side effect for having the gull bladder removed. Since the gull bladder is gone the stomach bile used for digestion has no place to be stored, and in some patients the stomach is unable to absorb it, or sometimes to much is produced. But i would talk to your doctor to see if this may be the cause
  • Posted

I just typed a long message here then it just disappeared, how strange.

• Posted

Hello... This this November will be 2 years since my gallbladder was removed and I suffer from changes in bowel movements daily. I suffered from this weeks before my gallbladder was removed and still do. It seems like the color of my stool changes with what I eat. Spagetti sauce it's red, Oreo cookies it's black, 10 blueberries it's green. Shape and texture is very different also. I am now having the right side upper back pain I had when I had my gallbladder in...I'm so confused rolleyes
    • Posted

This just answered my question. I had some oreos earlier today and when I had to run to the bathroom after dinner it was black. It freaked me out. Probably 30 mins after I ate them I ran to the bathroom but it was the normal color.....weird. Normally it seems like the food goes straight through me. Guess it took the oreos a little bit though.
    • Posted

Same with me, I was freaking out after seeing black stool so was researching on it and came across this. I had oreos in the morning and just after lunch I saw it. Had my gallbladder removed 4 years ago and the top of my stomach feels empty and like has a whole every once in a while then goes away. 
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I had my gall bladder out in November 2013. Good experience with no problems. About 4/6 weeks ago I started to have the feeling that there was something pressing on the inside of my pelvic area. I could not feel anything but the feeling persists. I then started having bright yellow diarrhea. After eating anything it only takes a little while before I need to go to the toilet. The stools are not greasy nor do they float, just very very loose and bright yellow.

i had an MRI scan before my operation which (apart from a rather large gallstone) showed no other problems, liver etc fine. 

I go for an ultra sound scan in 2 weeks and I go to see my doctor next week. I am going to ask her to take blood tests. I am terrified that there is something wrong with my pancreas. I have a hiatus hernia and take Lanzoprazone tablets for acid reflux. I also have type 2 diabetes.

So very worried. Everything seems to take so long. Oh by the way I live in the UK.

• Posted

Good luck Sue with the ultra-sound. If it's anything to be reassured about I often experience non dark stools also, not too often though just once in a while, and occasionally I get a little niggle around where the small scar is, also like I have mentioned previously I sometimetimes feel a pulse around the same area, itfact it occured yesterday evening, and this time I presses against it with my hand and it went away faster than it did the last time, of course the time previous I didn't press it.

The blood test will give the results to determine if there are any issues but I wouldn't worry too much Sue as this is very common after a cholecystecomy.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you Fred. I have been looking online (not recommended I know) and it seems as if it is a fairly common thing to happen after a gallbladder removal. I am clinging on to that thought for the moment. Will let you know what happens.
    • Posted

Hey sue, I'm curious to see what the dr has to say about your bright yellow stools because I am experiencing the same thing right now. I also have to use the bathroom shortly after eating, but iv had my gall bladder out for almost two years and it's almost always been like that. I was waiting to see if the bright yellow stools would go away because I don't have health insurance right now but it hasn't, and that is why I turned to the internet to see if anyone else had this problem. I'm kinda glad that I'm not the only one. But I'm a little anxious to see what a dr has to say about it. 
    • Posted

Hi Nia, I go to the doctors on Tuesday morning and I will let you know what she says. I live in UK so insurance is not a problem thank goodness! I don't feel ill so that's a good sign but have a soreness in the top of my back which is the same as I had before I had my gall bladder out. I also have, what I can only describe as, acid pains in my lower bowel so maybe the yellowness is something to do with that. Anyway I will let you know.
    • Posted

Does your yellow diarrhea come and go? Have you had a stool test? Just wondered because this may give your doctor a pointer.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been to the doctors today and she has taken a load of blood tests. I will get the results on Friday She suggested a colonoscopy but we decided to wait for the results of the blood tests and the ultra sound scan. One of the blood tests she has done is a cancer pointer. She says this is for our peace of mind, but in some ways I am glad she has done this. My doctor of 30 years is retiring next month so feeling a bit lost. Will let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

Hi, got the results of the blood tests today and all were clear no action to be taken. Very very relieved. Just got to have the ultrasound on Monday. After that the next step seems to be a colonoscopy! 

• Posted

Hi sue, only just found this forum & wonder if you're still having problems with diahorrea & if so what has your GP advised. Two & a half years ago my gallbladder was removed & I had no problem until June 2015 when I started getting yellow diahorrea & bad left side tummy pains. My GP put me on Loperamide, I also had a SeHCAT scan for bile malabsorption which was negative. The diahorrea subsided for about 6 months and now I'm having the same problem again only worse, even after a cup of tea I have the most awful watery yellow diahorrea, plus pain in left side & bloating. I'm now too scared to eat!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.