Post Cholecystectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I’ve posted in this group before and it’s been a while since I’ve been on. So I apologize to the ones I never replied back to on my last post!!

I was diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia back in November, my ejection fraction was at 9%. I had my gallbladder removed yesterday (26th) laparoscopically, no complications or anything. Thank God. I was extremely scared since it was my first surgical procedure with general anesthesia.

After surgery I was okay, didn’t feel bad just super duper tired. Today however was definitely a worse day! I’m having tons of pain in my belly button, which is where my gallbladder was removed from and it still bleeds a little bit. Plus there’s a humongous bruise right below my belly button. It hurts to get up and down, laugh, sneeze, cough, etc sad. I was given Percocet 10s and they do nothing for my pain, unfortunately. I’m using ice packs as well.

Tonight when I went to lay down I got a sharp pain by my right shoulder and under my right rib that wrapped around to my back. It actually hurt to breathe for a minute. Didn’t happen at all during the day just now when i went to lay down. Would that be the gas that was pumped into my abdomen?

Also, is the bleeding normal? They gave me dissolving bandaids so I can see my incisions but not the one in my belly button - which is the only one that has bleed some. But as I mentioned before it’s not a lot just some. 

Thanks!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Everything you are describing is normal. The pain under your ribs is gas get up and move around if you can. For me the hole in my belly button was the worst one. The pain will ease off in the next few days.
    • Posted

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for replying. The gas has gone away and I am feeling much better than I was. Still sore in my belly button area though. But doing better!

• Posted

It sounds normal to me . When you cough hold a pillow tightly across your tummy ,

It helps with the pain .

If the belly button pain is still bad after a few days see your doctor , I got an infection

In my belly button incision.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear you had an infection. I was worried about an infection but the pain has gone away a good bit. The redness that’s below my belly button is starting to fade away, so that’s a good sign. It’s starting to bruise though which has me worried because it’s yellow - is that normal? 

• Posted

All you’ve described is normal after surgery. Try to keep moving. Short walks even around the house to disperse the gas in your abdomen. My stomach was very bruised as well. Probably didn’t help that I had been on fragmin injections for a week as was an inpatient at hospital and obviously at risk of getting a DVT as not moving about as much. So blood was thinner and bruise more easily. Try to take pain relief regularly so it doesn’t build up to an unmanageable level. I found a hot water bottle and hot shower helped for the pain as well. Hope your recovery goes well xx
    • Posted

Thank you Scottie! I am feeling almost 100% better than I was when I wrote that post. My belly button area is still sore but I know it won’t last much longer, hopefully. I had an ice pack, which was my best friend the day after LOL. But I’m not needing it anymore and I’m starting to sleep on my belly again, since that’s my favorite position to sleep. It was heck sleeping on my sides and back.

Thanks again Scottie!!

• Posted

I have been given hydrocodone and it doesn't touch this kind of pain.  Extra strength Tylenol will help more than anything else and you can safely take up to 6 per day.  Tylenol doesn't hurt your kidneys or other organs, like Advil or Aleve does.   Ask your doctor about the bleeding but I think the surgery pain will go away in a couple of weeks.   If not, keep after the doctor.   My surgery to remove the gallbladder was 15 years ago and I still have pain where it used to be from time to time and have had it for 2 months constantly since Thanksgiving.   New gastro doctor on Friday put me on Pepcid 20 mg...non prescription...and it has already helped a little.  Havingscope done soon and he did lots of bloodwork.   Will report if he helps me.   I would definitely try the Pepcid right now.   With surgery, there is always lots of gas!

• Posted

Hi Judy,

Thanks for your reply. I’m sorry to hear you’re still having pain!! I hope you get some answers and start finding relief. Thankfully the gas is gone and I am feeling so much better! Still sore but way better than the first two days after the surgery.

Take care Judy 💜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.