Post cholecystectomy day by day diary of recovery

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I recently put a post on this site expressing a concern with some pains I was having along with gallstones which had led to severe acute cholecystitis. The response and support I had received from so many different people was absolutely wonderful and really helped me. If not to take the pain away, but to support and really show a concern. I have since had my surgery to have my gallbladder removed and am home recovering. I want to share my experience with anyone having the same problems which can hopefully help when you are in the same situation. I am doing from day of op up to my recovery stage I am at now.

Day of op: I must admit, one of the scariest operations I have ever been booked in for. My surgery took longer than normal, 2 and half hours, due to my gallbladder sadly being quite bad beyond repair. Recovery in hospital was long but I was allowed home the same day. I was given some relaxant medication before I was put to sleep so you have option if you are nervous or anxious. Don't be scared to express if you are worried. Surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Day 1 post op: I felt extremely sore, uncomfortable, gassy (from carbon air blown into the tummy) this was more uncomfortable than anything. I had a severe sore throats from tubes down there during surgery. Take pain killers regularly for at least the 1st 3 days. Even if you don't feel pain. I also experienced quite bad diarreah but didn't have a tummy ache with it. Felt slightly emotional and pain in my right shoulder. Again, this was from the air blown into my tummy. Just rest and sleep when possible.

Day 2 post op: the aneaspehetic had completely worn off by today so pain killers were really needed. Still experiencing sever diarreah but still no tummy ache. Gas is reducing and tummy is shrinking making wounds feel tight and sore. Pain in my shoulder is still there but slowly easing the more gas is released from my stomach. The worse pain at the moment is the bloating from the gas. Still please rest and sleep when you can.

Day 3 post op: pains are now more localised as gas is almost gone. So around the area of where the gallbladder was and wounds from surgery. My stomach still is very grumbly from the gas but not as much. Pain in the shoulder has now gone. Still experiencing diarreah which doesn't seem to get any better at the stage and had bowel movements up to 5 times in the day. Feeling tired of resting as I'm used to being active so I was getting up and moving around a little. I.e. To make a cup of tea or a sandwich. Still needing pain killers but now just for the pains from surgery.

Day 4 post op: the pains are still there but nowhere near as bad as day 1-3. I am up and moving around a little more, I tried bending but I suggest you wait a while longer that as it was painful. My pain killers are reducing and I am finding I only need them when necessary. I find I can't stand up for longer that 20 minutes. I am getting a bad pain/ achy back which I can only think is because I have done very little for days. I am now sitting mostly instead of laying and managing stairs much better but still please take things easy and at a pace you can manage. Today I went to visit the in laws and by the time I got home I was ready for bed. Energy is still very low but felt amazing to get out of the house for a while. I've only had 2 lots of pain killers today and that was more because I was going out.

Day 5 post op: last night was my 1st night back in my bed. I had my bed on the sofa because my toilet is downstairs and I was struggling getting up and down. Also reduced movement meant I'd have never made the toilet in time. I was very restless till around 3.30am as I couldn't turn around to sleep on my side which Is how I would normally sleep in bed. Eventually fell asleep and woke around 1pm 😳 I felt very lazy but bare in mind it was broken sleep. Today I feel loads better and recovery seems to be getting quicker. I'm not going to lie, I still feel pains but this is now more when I move and again only from wound areas and where the gallbladder was so I still recommend you still take things easy. Diarreah has now cleared and bowel movements are almost back to normal. I still feel sore but again it's much better than it was and also much more bearable. I haven't yet had pain killers and want to take them only when I need them. I am visiting the nurse tomorrow due to a naughty wound that won't stay closed so I'm hoping that's better than it was. More so because I would love to have a soak in the bath. Sadly I've been forbidden from showers and baths until it's closed enough to handle water. So flannel washes are what I've had to deal with. I am still on day 5 of recovery but want to share my experience now as I thought I would be laid up much longer. I am still resting but doing little bits when I can. I am proud to have started managing my stairs and finally had a proper night in bed. My pains are now only from where the gallbladder was, the belly button wound (which is my naughty one) and one wound in the top of the tummy between my rib cage. All in all, I am so thrilled with my surgery and so glad I no longer need to suffer the attacks I was having. I do feel achy and feel I have run a marathon at times but that's my own fault at pushing myself too much. I hope that my day by day diary has enough information to help anyone who is having or has just had surgery. If there are any questions anyone has I would be more than happy to answer. I am sorry the post is so long but the more detail the better. Please post a reply if there are any other symptoms you may have had that I haven't included. I can't wait to be back on my feet and back to normal health and although it seems ages away, it's nothing compared to the nightmare of having a not well gallbladder. I still feel very tired and can still only do very little but as for the pains they are easing more and more as each day goes on. Please remember that the recovery does take up to 6 weeks so even if you still don't feel right after 2 weeks you are still recovering from a major surgery. Please still only eat light meals as your body is adjusting to the gallbladder not being there. And although we can live a perfectly healthy life without one, it still done quite a lot for you. Don't suffer in silence. I wish anyone having the surgery a speedy recovery and lots of love and please make sure you rest. All the best.

Sonia

Xxxx

2 likes, 187 replies

187 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi dear, I have my gallbladder out two weeks ago but still under recovery and not fully recovered. I have no pain but a little bit tension on the rightmost cut that was used as drain. I had some fluid collected in the right lumbar which caused fever after surgery so the doctor used very high antibiotics to recover this infection. I feel now it hss been adjusted but the antibiotics used for 10 days made me too weak so recovery id very slow. If possible please suggest me the best intake food for quick recovery without any stomck problem.
    • Posted

Hi akram, glad to hear you are on your way to a full recovery but sorry to hear you dealt with what you did after surgery. I honestly would suggest a low dairy diet and stick to boiled rice, salads chicken vegatable etc. High in fibre foods. Just a healthy diet really. I have since coming home from hospital after surgery had a take away pizza which I only had one slice of but was a huge mistake. Not because it didn't agree with me but because it was just way to heavy. I also suggest eating smaller meals and a regular breakfast lunch and dinner. I have felt more hungry but only managing small meals. So try that for a while and see if it helps. Trial and error but only you know your body and knows what helps best. Best of luck. Keep me posted.

Sonia

• Posted

Hi, Akram,

Sorry to learn you've had these problems.  Sona gave excellent advice as to diet.  I'm just going to add that you might want to include probiotics to repopulate the good bacteria in your digestive system.  

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi, Sonia!

This is really helpful.  How good of you to post it!  Please continue to take care of yourself and let us know how you're getting on!  

xx

• Posted

Aww thank you Lynda. It's only day 5 but going fast. I'm feeling better more and more each day but still need to learn to not over do things haha. I'm doing ok

Sonia xx

• Posted

Thanks for this Sonia, glad you're making a speedy recovery and all is going as planned. I'm currently waiting for my surgery date so this was very helpful and informative.

• Posted

Hello there, I have had a few different operations for several different health problems and I won't lie when I say it was the one I was most nervous and scared of. It's only natural to feel that way but I felt I was a little over the top. Once I came round I realised I was worrying for nothing. But all the team that dealt with me were amazing and so supportive. If there is any questions you have please don't hesitate to ask. But in all honesty it really wasn't as bad as I thought. I do however recommend you rest as much as you can, that has been my only downfall and now I'm worried recovery may take a little longer than expected. I'm not one to sit down for too long and found myself doing things I shouldn't have been doing. Please pop on and let me know how you get on won't you. Wishing you all the best for your surgery hope all goes well x

• Posted

You sound so much like me... haha... I had hernia mesh repair surgery in 2015 and was very nervous prior to this as I'd never had an operation in my life. I'm feeling positive about my upcoming surgery but it's only natural, as you say to feel a bit nervous. I've also been following Weight Watchers for the last 12 months so this has helped keeping my diet relatively healthy. You take care and I'll report in regularly.. thanks again.. x

• Posted

Having a healthy fat free diet makes surgery a lot easier. I was told that the fattier the food you eat can cause a fatty liver making gallbladder removal more difficult. Mine on the other hand was absolutely fine but my gallbladder was in a right state!! You've followed the right steps with having a healthy diet. Being calm and relaxed also helps a lot and although I struggled with that, the relaxant I was given made such a difference and helped massively. I've still today been naughty and decided to drive to the shop to get a Sunday roast. I was told not to drive for 2 weeks but felt confident enough to, but I shall not being doing that again in a hurry haha!! Feeling very achy and sore now so although I'm trying different things, I know what I need to hold back on. I will never learn but if you don't try you don't know, that's my way of thinking. I recommend to anyone post op to rest lol I just don't take my own advice x

• Posted

Hi sonia

?Glad you have got through your op well. Yes, it certainly is a process you should not rush - youwill notice small improvements each day, maybe you will feel tired a bit when you get back to "normal" activities. I still am easily tired  at 8 weeks post op, however I had a couple of chest infections - they were going around and the anaesthetic reduces our immune system - now on the mend but have slowed down my recovery which otherwise was not bad at all.

Like you, my gb was in very bad shape by the time it was removed, so cannot have been  doing us any good.

?I wish you a speedy recovery! Take care, Cynthia x

• Posted

Hi Cynthia. You mentioned chest infections. I must admit the day of my surgery I did feel like I could have been coming down with a cold. Since that day I must say I have had rotten cold symptoms from sore throat, running blocked bunged up nose and also very chesty. Which coughing feels like a chore. It's painful to cough. I boiled I down to feeling run done before surgery and maybe just lack of energy to fight it properly. I have an appointment with my nurse tomorrow to have a wound checked so maybe I might mention it to her. I still feel very blocked up and the cough doesn't seem so so bad just a little coughing fit here and there. Which I'm thrilled as it is so uncomfortable to do it. My son is going back to school tomorrow he has the last few days off this week so I feel I have a little more time to rest and relax. I keep hoping the more I do the easier it will get but I think I am just pushing myself too much too soon. I hope your chest infections are much better now and you are fully recovered very soon. 8 weeks seems so long but it is the longest I have been told myself. Wishing you all the best x

• Posted

Hi Sonia

Just to say so glad it is all going so well for you, keep going strong x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.