Post Christmas Blues.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Am I alone in struggling to get my bp down to pre Xmas readings? I was doing really well before xmas with average readings in the normal or low prehypertension stage . Now I am struggling to keep them in the high prehypertension stage. I did eat naughty stuff at Xmas and had a drink or two, but been really good for last week and dietary wise I am back on track. However my readings do not reflect that. Any ideas?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fisherman how is it after walking?   You know I was looking into this and why it is down after walking is because we have done 30 mins of proper breathing even though we are unaware of it worthlooking into.  good luck

• Posted

That's interesting Helen. I don't normally measure after a walk but the other day my wife and I went to see the baby seals on the Norfolk coast about 30 miles from us. We spent a good 2 - 3 hours walking along the beach looking at them and for once I did take a measurement when I got back. It was fairly high. However, we did more of a stroll and I believe to lower bp you need to really stride out so I will do that and take a measurement and see what happens! Thank you for suggestion.
  • Posted

Hi Fisherman

My brother is going through exactly the same thing as he monitors his bp readings at home - gp did tell him that richer food and more of it over Xmas probably the cause and bp should settle again once he's back into routine again. Like yourself he was concerned because he has been back on track since around 29th December but maybe it does take this length of time for body to stabilise again.

• Posted

Hi Mollymac. At least I am not alone!! Really trying to get bp lower and stabalised. I may have been expecting too much too soon after Xmas? Wish your bro good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Fisherman,

Could you give an update? I'm interested to hear if your readings have gone down, and if so, why you think they did.

If they have not, I think more people on this forum might have suggestions.

• Posted

Hi Nick. Before my lifestyle changes many months ago my bp was high. Always stage 1 hypertension and often creeping into stage 2 hypertension even with medication. Then I lost a stone and changed diet and exercised and bp reduced to a regular pre hypertension status and often normal status. Now after Xmas I hover around pre and sometimes stage one ie high 130's low 140's over high 80's low 90's. Can't seem to get back to normal range. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
    • Posted

I think a couple questions might shed some light:

- Are you on any medications?

- Do you have a graph or list of readings that you could share?

- Is anything different about your routine now? Maybe you changed the oil you cook with or something?

I'm just fishing for information that might give a clue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.