Post Colonoscopy Issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had several colonoscopies over the years, all done by the same Dr., no after effects, walk in the park! The one I had done 12 days ago by a different Dr. (sadly my other Dr. very ill) seemed to go smoothly. I was not awake so didn't know what went on, Previously although sedated I was totally aware of everything. One small polyp removed, still don't know the results.

However since this colonoscopy i have been somewhat irregular and seem to have an accidy sensation in lower bowel after movement and also a bit unsettled tummy from time to time and a bit of "burping" which was never an issue with me. I read on some other sites that some folk have gastrointestinal issues that go on for some time after a colonoscopy. Just wondering if others have had a similar experience. It had been 5 years since my last colonoscopy.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Arleen,

I don’t know if you had polyps removed in the past. I had my first one removed last colposcopy and like any surgery, they can make you feel a bit weird for a while. Sounds as if the motility of the gut might have been temporarily affected which often causes gas and cramping. It should pass off soon. Even a bit of blood isn’t unusual but if you get increasing sensations and even pain or bleeding that seems worse then you should go back because all wounds can get infected and you want to avoid that getting a hold. 99% likely to be a normal reaction to the removal of the polyp but keep an eye on it. Best of luck, David.

• Posted

Yes I have an advanced polyp but was told it is benign no cancer but I want too have it removed afraid it might turn into cancer I don't know the surgeon did not remove it and I just had my very first colonoscopy done on May 9th the worst part is the prep for it I don't feel sick or anything after I had it done I did have straggering and the room spinning after it was done which was a normal side effect. I am willing to go back and get that polyp removed not scared to do it.

• Posted

You might be safer having it removed. Twelve years ago i had a sigmoidoscopy that revealed a large polyp. I was advised to have a colonoscopy so it could be removed. When the colonoscopy was done they were only able to remove about 75% of the polyp.The doctor thought is was pre-cancerous. When it was examined in pathology it was found to be pre-cancerous in the first part but underneath it was cancerous. As it was not able to be removed during colonoscopy I had a bowel  resection for colo-rectal cancer. Luckily it was a stage one and had not penetrated the mucosa so I had no further treatment. My last colonoscopy May 9, 2018 revealed a small polyp which was removed. The Dr. said it was likely to be ok. Haven't heard back yet but think it should be ok. I would always want a polyp removed no matter how small and have pathology done.

• Posted

I went too my post up appointment that doctor is wanting me too have it removed so we agreed on that the reason why she did not remove it I would have bleed too death. The colon surgeon she did refer me too he has been a colon surgeon for 27 years so that out me at ease she did tell me if I do not get that out it will turn into cancer. I just want it out and removed and over with she did say I may not have too do that prep again but we will see I am ready too get it over with. It was a little bit bigger than a quarter is what she said I said that's big it is not cancerous they did a biopsy I am just nervous but I know I can do this again this will be my 4th surgery so I am use too surgery but not on the colon though so this is new.

• Posted

So glad you are getting it removed. Your mind will be put to rest not stressing about it turning to cancer. Do you have a date for your surgery? Do you know if it will be an open surgery or a laparoscopy? Your surgeon sounds very experienced. I wish you all the very best and a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Won't know till I get into see the colon surgeon he has been a doctor for 27 years which out me at ease on that I just want it out and over with. I will find out if I have to do that prep again hope it is an easy surgery and there is no complications from it.

• Posted

I will be thinking of you and look forward to hearing that everything went really well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.