Post Colonoscopy Question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just got home from my colonoscopy.  As with other people's experiences the doctor comes in to discuss results when I am half asleep, but she did tell me there was still stool matter in my colon and that she removed  polyp or two and I may need to repeat in as little as 6 months depending on the lab results.  The part I can't figure out is was the mention of the stool remnants irrelevant to the possibility of doing the procedure again so soon?  I believe what she said was "we may need  to repeat as soon as 6 months but definitely no later than 3 years, depending on the lab results".  I was still evacuating brown color even in the hospital before the procedure, so obviously I failed with the MoviPrep.   Should they have delayed the procedure?  Can't the doctor clean me out while in there?  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

No. It's because matter is still coming down from the small bowel I think. The time period for another one would be that given to you if you had polyps removed. Depends on the lab result. If there is too much material to make the test viable they just reschedule it so I'm sure the time for your next one is because they found polyps and not because of the faecal material. Polyps are very routine as you know and I hope it will be 3 yrs for you cos it's all a bit of a nuisance as we know lol. D.
  • Posted

So did the doctor mention the fecal matter to make conversation (LOL), to scold me for presumably screwing up the prep? 
  • Posted

I had the same problem. Polyps removed and re-examine in 12 months thereafter every three years. Just had three year exam but not successful due to poor novel prep 😖
  • Posted

I had same thing last year...This year i went on a diet for 4 days before my movi prep..and all was clear.... I will do the same for next year ..as i have between 5 and 15 polyps removed every year..what a draggggggg.....
  • Posted

I can't drink the Moviprep or picolax so have to start a light diet one weekbefore, starve two days, take laxatives and have an enema prior to scope ! Filling the bowel with air is always excruciating 😵
    • Posted

Shouldn't be so bad if they use carbon dioxide which the gut can absorb.
  • Posted

Is not absorbed that quickly it remains in place as do cramps for up to a week ,

I had cramps and gas entire day and next morning .

c scope is not a one day affair there's prep day 

scope. Day and recovery day .

The latter is minor discomfort of trapped wind mild cramps in gut 

I can only assume the equivalent of bruising from being dialated by gas and pushed n shoved about .

I've made a complaint about how colonoscopy is explained to patients 

and been told  a change in leaflet etc is going to happen 

I was asked to take part in these changes and did so .

main concerns were ,

pain , sedation .

it hurts and sedation is given to all patients anxious or not .

I had to refuse sedation and pk four maybe six times and was

only told about pain when I showed knowledge of pethidine and midazolam and why I would need it for something that only caused discomfort .

midazolan = amnesiac complient patient given to relieve stress and anxiety ,

Pethidine a drug similar to morphine used for moderate  severe pain 

given to reduce any possible discomfort .

nobody tells you what the sedative is or what it does this isn't vallium guys .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.