Post Colonscopy Pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

So i had my first ever Colonoscopy on Sunday 07/11/2021 in the UK.

The procedure went well but i didn't opt for sedation so i was in agonising pain during the procedure. Anyway after the procedure was over they told me to expect pain/discomfort for up to 2 days and some mild bleeding when going to the toilet.

By Tuesday the bloating and discomfort had settled but i woke up with pain and nausea. I went to the toilet and there was some dark red blood on my first stool. My second and third stool later that day looked normal colour and no blood which is good.

However the pain has continued. I had medium/strong pain and nausea all day on Tuesday 9th. On Wednesday the pain was much milder for most of the day much more tolerable. I did not have any bowel movements and i had no nausea at all.

Today its Thursday 11th and i have woken up again with Nausea and medium/strong pain.

I've passed several bowel movements already no blood which is good, but there is just constant pain in the lower part of my stomach.

The pain seems to be coming from below my belly button and stomach line. Its like the lower part of my stomach maybe? Its just a constant pain that comes with nausea.

The pain fluctuates between around a 5-7/10 throughout the day.

My scale is as follow.

Pain Scale

3/10 - Pain barely noticable at all

5/10 moderate pain bothersome but you can still function 100% as normal

7/10 pain is strong, affects your appetite and in general hard to focus on anything whilst at this level.

9/10 is almost unbearable pain this is the stage i normally go to hospital A&E if i cant cope.

For context i suffer from Chronic Gastritis every day for over 2 years so i am used to have pains to do with Gastro, however these pains where not there before the Colonscopy so i know for a fact that the Colonscopy is the cause of the pains.

I am hoping the pain settles soon but i just wondered

How many of you on here suffered with pains after your colonoscopy that lasted more than just 2 days???

If the pain does not settle in a few days or gets worse i will have no choice but to go to A&E hospital but i am trying to avoid that as the only thing i can assume would happen at that stage is that they have damaged my colon during the procedure which potentially could cause internal bleeding/infection which of course i am hoping is not the case.

Appreciate any advice or comments about others who suffered after the procedure.

FYI - i cannot call my doctor. I have specific instructions that if there is any serious problems following the procedure my only course of action is to go back to the hospital but only if the pain is Severe or bleeding from bowel movements does not stop which it already has.

This was the advice i received being in the UK.

Thanks everyone!

Josh - 28 Year Old Male.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi there.

How are u doing now.

I had a colonoscopy 7 weeks ago and have had several problems I didn't have before.

Diarrhea/ constipation, belching, tummy pain and a noisy tummy. My pre colonoscopy bowel movements have changed considerably.

I did read that the gut dose not like been disturbed and it can take months rather than weeks to settle and its all rather miserable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.