Post-Concert Ear Problems!? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently went to a Justin Bieber concert. It was awesome and fun except for the fact that it was unbelieveably loud! The screaming girls were the worst part! After the concert, as I was leaving, I felt like I lost 1/3 of my hearing. On the ride home, most of my hearing seemed to come back. I was very exhausted and I figured that my ears would be fully back to normal when I woke up the next morning. But...that didn't happen. When I woke up the morning after the concert, both of my ears hurt bad. My right ear hurt more (probably because that ear was closer to the speakers and this girl kept screaming in that ear!) Anyway, I told my mom I was worried and she said it will go away in a few days and that I shouldn't worry. Two days later, my ears are still no better. I have most of my normal hearing, except it just kinda feels like I lost like 2% of my hearing, if that makes any sense. My ears POP! everytime I swallow or something and my right ear hurts like ear-infection bad!! My ears also kinda feel clogged. (please note, I never had any ringing in my ears after the concert or anything) Is this normal after a big, loud concert? Will this go away and how long might it take to go away? I'm only 13 years old and I have a full life ahead of me! I don't want to have permanent hearing loss because I wanted to go to a Justin Bieber concert when I was 13 and didn't know any better to bring earplugs to my FIRST CONCERT!!! sad I'm so worried!! My mom made an appointment with my primary care doctor. But in the meantime, what can I do?! I'm so scared. There were hundereds of people way closer to the speakers than me and they seemed fine?! I'm scared...I need some reassurance and support. CAN ONE, FIRST CONCERT CAUSE PERMANENT EAR PAIN AND HEARING LOSS?!?!?! That makes no sense, even if someone has sensitive ears, like me....please help...I can't calm down!! sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Calm down sweetheart I promise that this is normal for sensitive ears. It is highly possible that your first time exposure to such loud music has irritated Your ear drums (small membrane in your ears that vibrate so you can comprehend sound). there is also the possibility that you have an ear infection and its just coincidence that it started at the concert. It's unlikely you've got permanent hearing damage. Next time you go to a concert, take some ear protection now you know you have sensitive ears. They should go back to normal within a week or so if there is no infection, even less time if there is.
    • Posted

Thank you so such, I really needed to hear that! I am just keeping my distance from loud noises until I feel better. Again, thank you! smile
  • Posted

Hi Emma it can't hurt you. What you are saying with the popping and the sore ears sounds like a bit of infection in the right ear. Sometimes things happen at the same time so you think the noise caused it but it could have been a coincidence. There are billions of people that expose their ears to noise all the time. It takes many exposures to permanently ruin your hearing. When you have a sore ear it feels a bit blocked so you feel like you have lost a it of hearing. Like when you have a cold. If you are worried, mum can take you for a hearing test and they can check to see if you have a blocked eustachian tube or infection in your ear canal. Your doctor can check for wax first as even that can cause problems. smile
    • Posted

Thank you!! I just saw my doctor. He looked inside my ear and everything and said that it was a little red, but that there is no infection. You also looked in my nose and mouth, and he said that allergies are probably the problem, not the concert. He prescribed me Claritin. Allergies causing this makes sense, because I recently moved into a new house and the weather has been crappy. Also, I am prone to allergy problems and have had this before. My ears hurt way less today than they did before, so that's good. Ohh and my doctor also took a lot of wax out of my ear! Lol, but now I hear a bit better. My doctor said that just one big concert is not going to cause permanent hearing loss or anything, but that I should bring good earpugs next time! What a coincidence...I thought the concert caused this, but maybe it has little to do with it. Oh well, hopefully I will be better soon!! Thank you!
    • Posted

Fantastic news Emma. So thrilled for you. I bet you sleep well tonight smile
    • Posted

Great! Glad to hear you're ok. Thanks for letting us know 😊
    • Posted

I've been to a green day concert one week ago and I've been in the front row my mom and dad said the pressure will be soon gone my ears pop everytime I open my jaw or swallow im kind of confused I've been to only one Green day concert six months before and back then there wasnt any pressure in the ears.....im 15 years old and I'm down scared...us it possible i have tinnitus from one fuken loud concert......it's not like beeeping it's more like annoying pressure....

• Posted

How are you now?

Of course it is possible to get T from one loud concert. I got my T from a go kart racing that only lasted for 11 minutes. So I would not be surprised if you got T, sorry to sound cruel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.