Post concussion syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, my names andy & just 5 days ago I banged my head quite badly on a metal display case whilst out with a friend shopping. The corner of the case caught my head quite sharply however there was no bleeding. From how painful it was I expected to get migraine symptoms like the flashing blur across my vision etc. However that didn't happen, I just got pain in the area of the injury.

Now the reason I'm posting this is because even after a few days my head still hurts quite badly. I went to my doctors surgery today & told him the whole story. He had a feel of my head & said I hadn't fractured or dented my skull. He said it was good that I wasn't knocked out when the accident happened & its good that I haven't been vomiting. He got out one of those little torch things and tested my eyes which he said were responding normally to light & he checked my blood pressure which was fine. Also the fact that I was able to walk to the doctors surgery all by myself without getting lost or falling over was a good thing.

So I have no "red flag" symptoms, I started to worry that I had bleeding on the brain or something crazy like that sad but apparently I'm good.

The doctor said he thinks I have something called Post Concussion Syndrome? I had never heard of it. I have been put on a course of Codeine tablets, 4 a day. (I've only had one so far, so I haven't really felt any better yet.)

My doctor guessed that my headache should go within a few days of taking my Codeine, but like always I got home & decided to google the damned thing. I found a lot of sites saying that this post concussion syndrome can last months, possibly a year or two!?!? ...I'm sorry I can't have that. I am only a few weeks away from returning to work after a long battle with my IBD & I can't bear the thought of having a constant headache for so long.

If anyone has had this problem please share your experiences & perhaps lend some reassurance my way. I know I should just take onboard what my doctor said, but its too late now I have google-itis sad

thanks,

Andy

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

jthe codeine is strong pain relief and should calm your headache down quickly.

Hope you feel better soon

Richard

• Posted

Hi Andy

I know you posted this 3 years ago.....probably unlikely to respond. 

Just wondering how the PCS cleared up. 

I got hit HARD round the back of my head guard during sparring 8 days ago. Have followed the same route as you (been checked at A&E and GP who confirm pupils responding well, BP and heart rate fine so no bleed on the brain etc) Stopped taking co codamol today as read headaches are a side effect which I am suffering and also I’m tired of feeling drowsy and tired. Just wondering how long your symptoms continued? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.