Post day one of Bunion surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hiya I had bunion surgery yesterday on my right foot and so far so good. My foot is still  numb but think that's the pain killer block wearing off slowly. Can feel slight painish feeling not bad at all. Just wondering how you all slept at night as ment to keep feet up on pillow but I find it hard sleeping just on my back so is it ok to sleep on my side but still feet elevated up if u know what I mean .

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations. I am now 3 1/2 weeks post surgery and have not had any pain from the surgery other than a tingling when my foot swells after doing too much on it. Elevation and ice helps.  I found a bed cradle was great as it lifted the sheets off my foot but if you don't have one, I understood a dining chair at the foot of the bed does the same thing!  I still elevated my foot on a pillow, even when sleeping on my side. I think the elevation is more important than the angle and it's important to sleep comfortably so you can recover. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thanks very much for reply that's a great help and hopefully I'll sleep a bit better tonight now . Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly for u x
  • Posted

hi Sue congrats on your operation and now it's healing and patience but oh so worth it. With me I could not stand anything near my feet at night. So I slept with two big pillows with my feet in between. No elevation as I could not sleep like that. Even right up too my casts were off, it was an amazing feeling of sheets on my bare feet. I slept anyway that was comfortable and that was on my side. Good luck x
  • Posted

There are elevated wedge pillows (foam) that are quite comfortable and useful whether you're sleeping on your back or side. They're specifically designed to support your foot during a healing period like this. Not sure if you have Amazon, but here in the US we can get next day delivery. 
  • Posted

HI Sue, I had surgery yesterday too (on my left foot).  Like you I find it hard to sleep on my back, so I slept on my right side and kept my left foot elevated on pillows+cushions and it was fine. I hope you stay fairly 'pain free'ish!', I knew it'd be sort of painful but wasn't expecting to feel as ill as i do - been throwing up more than i thought i would, but been told i'm just getting rid of the anasthetic - how about you?
    • Posted

Hiya not too bad today feeling a bit bruised and sore,but not too bad at the mo but taking regular pain reliefs just to,keep on to of it. I wasn't sick after the anaesthetic so must be reaction to it your having. I can get about on my heel and crutches but only for a short time before it all starta aching so taking it day by day x
  • Posted

Hi sue, congrats on your surgery. I am 3 weeks post surgery and just starting yo get around a bit better. I have used a tri pillow and slept on my side with the foot still elevated. I slept without it for the first time last night and found that it was easier sleeping on my side as the weight isn't on my toes. My surgery scar is healing well and is starting to itch which is a good sign but the only other pain I have is on the top of my foot which is boney sort of pain. Good luck Sue. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.