post decompression and car accident

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son had Chiari decompression and C1 removal in 2014. His scoliosis curve has continued to increase and was at 59 degrees in mid April. We are discussing spinal fusion surgery. During the past two months of getting referred to the appropriate surgeon he was involved in a car accident (they hit the side of a truck and then a pole). He denied pain or problems, was seen at the ER and a head CT done and no further follow up. On Monday when we met with his surgeon we learned that his curve has increased to 68 degrees since mid April. He scheduled an MRI for next week. I fear something has happened at his surgery site. He denies headaches. Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I had Chiari decompression surgery with back of C1 removed and also dura patch .  This gave me 4 weeks of false hope from surgery.  I have: scoliosis, Chiari, had tethered cord, syringomyelia and had a sports accident at age 13 that fractured my coccyx (tailbone).  I then traveled to Spain to have 45 minute outpatient filum terminale dissectum surgery (external tethered cord surgery) at the Institutee Chiari & Siringomielia & Escoliosis de Barcelona and it got me out of bed after 2-1/2 years for all four conditions.  Please check out their website.  I also researched the three US doctors who perform a similar surgery before deciding on Barcelona: Dr. Henderson in Maryland, Dr. Heffez in Wisconsin and Dr. Bolognese in New York.  The surgery releases tension on spine which reduces the pull on the hindbrain (Chiari), cures the tethered cord, reduces/reverses syringomyelia AND stops and or/reduces scoliosis.  Most professional atmosphere my wife and I have encountered during my struggle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.