Post discectomy/foraminotomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

hey, im 4 days post discectomy with bilateral facet shaving. i havent had any leg symptom releif yet, they pain is actually worse than it was before surgery. both glutes and hamstrings have a dull ache which intensifies when i move. also when walking i am getting worse shooting pain in my calf. also lots of leg twitching on my bad side, (could he a sign of nerve healing?)

anyone else wake up expecting to be fixed but actually worse?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Just wondering how you are doing? i am 8 days post disectomy of L5S1 and like you I am worse than i was before, which i didnt think possible.

• Posted

Hi Matthew, i had microdiscectomy about two weeks ago and had one week of feeling good, then the pain got a lot worse than prior to surgery, and now the sciatica pain is intermittent but not worse than pre op. Sometimes i feel no pain at all, and other times it hurts at about a 4/10. usually walking and moving helps, and i find that after ive been asleep or laying down for a while the pain is present until i get moving. The doctor is not worried about these symptoms because basically the nerve has been compressed for months pre-surgery, then moved and manipulated during surgery, so it is taking time to settle down. when the pain comes, its hard not to worry, but i'm trying to stay optimistic and keep the perspective that recovery is not linear with nerve pain. Its still trying to find its way back to normal. How are you feeling now? any changes?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.