Post discectomy surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all, I had the microdiscectomy surgery on 10/31. I am still experiencing a good amount of pain in my buttock area and down my left leg. At my follow up appointment the Dr stated that my nerve was very red and irritated during surgery. (I was experiencing pain for 9 months prior to surgery) I was told to be patient and give it time to heal. I was put on Gabapentin and have been taking it for 3 weeks now. Has anyone been through a simular experience and how long until the nerve healed itself. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a nasty fall at work back in march and had mri to find out 2 herinated disc L3 & L4. Havent had surgery I tried taking Gabapentin to desensitize the sciatic nerve and didnt work. I started taking tumeric (a natural Non inflammatory  wink

1000 mg 2 times a day and im feeling better every day. Doctors want to push perscription pills I like the more natural methods.. just my 2 cents but its working for me. Since march i havent been able to stand longer than 5 min w/o severe pain in groin and butt down leg and knee gets numb.. that doesnt happen now since ive been taking tumeric. Reduce inflammation in the nerve is what i am finding works

• Posted

Hi Gary,

I have had Microdecompression surgery to remove a facet joint disc on 13/11 Pain has gone in my legs. I am still experiencing uncomfortable sensations around the wound area L5/6 and am unable to sit for more than 10- 20 mins I am on codeine and Paracetamol to ease the pain, I go to physio tomorrow and hopefully will get some advice on recovery. Its early days only 3 weeks in for me. It will take time good luck and hope the pain eases soon 

• Posted

How is going now Gary is it any easier ? 

I am debating surgery , the problem is there are so many different procedures & every Consultant seems to have a different approach & opinion, if you get the wrong consultant doing a inadequate procedure then you are stuffed.

I see my consultant again tomorrow, if its possible to get long term pain relief in any other way rather than surgery I am all for it, but on the other hand I don't want to go for any surgery if there is a chance it will Not get rid of the leg pain & could possibly make it worse..

my pain is in both legs...the left leg, buttock & thigh, occasionally shooting to the calf, my right leg it my buttock from time to time but constantly in my calf ....all mentioned is when standing / walking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.