Post diverticulitis cycle of spasm nausea fatigue anxiety

Posted , 1 user is following.

Diag. 10 years ago. Was in hospital antibiotics worked. Refused surgery and about 3 months after had another attack. Went on antibiotics and cleared up quickly. Fast forward and felt the typical left sided pain this time new doctor gave flagyl and levaquin. Had Ct scan and all was good but I continued to have pain moving to right side and upper abdomen. Ultrasounds were all negative lab work all  normal except amylase which was low. It is now 4 weeks into this and I have trouble getting out of bed. I'm on leave from work, everyday is a struggle. Evenings seem to ease up but around 3am the spasms kick in go to bathroom loose stool not much but then not eating much. It is so depressing which I think is now in a cycle of spasm nausea fatigue anxiety. Has anyone gone through this, any input would be appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Haven't heard from anyone. I'm new to site so maybe I'm not doing the right approach. Help

• Posted

Hi Bonnie

You are in the right place and your message is being displayed properly.  However, I've not come across what you describe.  The antibiotics do wipe you out - some of the side effects are pretty vicious -  and anxiety and depression is common with this illness.  Normally though after 4 weeks or so, you should be starting to feel better - more energy, less pain - although it can take a long time to settle, particularly when you have had the disease for some time.  I don't know what to suggest except possibly take some form of probiotic to replace what has been destroyed by the antibiotics.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thx Felinia I am on probiotics. I try and push myself to do things. I used to excercise every day but now the energy is low. Meditation every day. Just don't understand the waking me up out of sleep with the continued spasms. The nausea is controlled with zofra., so I can at least eat a little. This thing is baffling to my gi dr and my primary. 

• Posted

Have you tried Mebeverine for the spasms?  This was what I was given, for use as needed.  I do wake up every morning feeling full and bloated, with no appetite, but that goes after the 1st bowel movement.  I go 3 - 6 times a day now, but I pee more, so it's not a problem.  I always used to wake up with an appetite, but now I rarely feel hungry.  Unfortunately you are a working girl, otherwise I would suggest you just take it easy and build up slowly (I'm retired).  Most people and particularly employers don't understand this disease so I hope it doesn't cause you a problem.  Best wishes

• Posted

I only took bentyl for 1 day (3 doses) but it slowed peristalsis down that I couldn't go and was really sick. No diarrhea now but not normal a lot of cramping and nausea till I "go". I'm starting to think I have brain gut miss firing and the stress and anxiety is what the problem is, viscous cycle. Need rewiring gut/brain connection 

• Posted

Yes, stress and anxiety really do seem to have a bad effect on some people with this disease - there are many people who have posted about it.  All I can say is that things do get better and settle down, if there is no underlying cause.  As you've had loads of tests I would hope that everything else has been ruled out.  Suggest you read some of the posts from susan95516 as she has documented her experiences over the past year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.