Post DVT/PE

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, im 24 years old and just over 2 months ago now I was admitted with DVT and PE. My treatment has been purely injections and oral tablet and luckily NO surgical intervention. I am currently on Warfarin and have been for the last 2 months. I have no post dvt/pe side effects other than anxiety which I believe is very common. I live in Tanzania and was lucky to be in Qatar when admitted and that is where I have had my ongoing treatment. I am wanting to return to Tanzania however having issues getting my INR in range therefore having weekly tests. Although I can get INR readings done in Tanzania I live in a small village away from any hospitals offering this service. I have read about a new anticoagulant tablet rivaroxaban which involves no regular tests, they were initially going to place me on this until my consultant decided not to Due to the lack of studies with this drug against DVT. Is anyone taking rivaroxaban and have any advise? Anyone come of warfarin and moved to rivaroxaban? Or perhaps moved from warfarin to anti coag injection? Secondly, with the pulmonary embolism I was very lucky that it was caught when it was and therefore haven't experienced the short of breath side effects and lung pains. However, with the anxiety I'm finding it difficult to exercise or even walk a short distance in the fear it may make me short of breath and ever y slight pain I automatically fear the worst any advise on how to get over post dvt/pe anxiety?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beatrice

So sorry take care hear about your DVT/PE. Firstly I am speaking as a parent to a daughter who had DVT a few years ago when she was 19. 

She has been on riveroxaban since. It has many advantages; you don’t need to test for INR levels as the anticoagulant  effect is through a different mechanism. You can drink alcohol taking it and there are no dietary restrictions. So gorva young girl it is great. The down sides is that it costs more money so this can prohibit the prescriber (am not sure of what health care provision is available in non U.K. countries) 

In terms of anxiety it is a common  issue particularly if you e also experienced a PE. The one thing which helped my daughter was in fact some advice given to her by a physio. She was told that anything she did to increase the blood flow through the affected site of the original clot would help to heal. Additionallly you gain the benefits of stress release from being active. My daughter has found walking, swimming and a bit of cross training the most helpful. Additionally she was told til try to work through the pain as it would improve over time. 

Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.  

Karin 

• Posted

Ps excuse the spelling errors - no glasses  to hand! 
  • Posted

Hello B

I was on Warfarin and always found it very difficult to get my INR stable. I had to be on that drug because it reacted with another drug I was taking for something else. Stopped the Warfarin in December and put onto one of the Factor X Inhibitors called Edoxaban. No monitoring required (well, actually its very difficult to monitor it anyway). Millions of people are on it, and similar anticoagulants

There are plenty of studies on these Factor X Inhibitors. They are the only way ahead for most people. 

Have another word with your doctor or hospital team. 

Good luck

Cheers

Big D 

You’d have a bit of trouble doing a long haul flight to Africa when on Warfarin anyway. You’d probably have to do a few days subcutaneous injections of Heparin in the abdomen region too. I’d be concerned about hoping that my INR was keeping stable and at the correct level if I wasn’t able to get easy access for blood testing.  If your INR goes up suddenly you’d be at considerable  risk of haemorrhage and need quick change in dosage and frequent tests to ensure things were stable again. 

• Posted

Hi Beatrice,  I have been taking apixaban (different name for rivaroxaban) for over a year after being on warfarin for 18 months.  Apixaban is great, you dont need any blood tests and its not affected by diet.  Its regularly prescribed here in the UK for stroke prevention, I know many older people that are prescribed it who have never even had a dvt, they are prescribed it to guard against strokes.  It is very unlikely you would have PE now, they happen when the clot is new and bits can easily break off, it is imperative that you exercise to open up new blood vessels.  Have you thought about relaxation or yoga classes for your anxiety?  You should really not worry bout a PE now, put some music on and get out there walking.  smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.