Post endescopy problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all, just curious if anyone had difficulties following endescopy procedure such as stomach ulcer, damaged stomach or long term loss of appetite?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I didn't get any of the problems you mentioned, but did get depression because of a reaction to the sedation. It lasted three weeks.

• Posted

Hi, I think it would be highly unlikely if an endoscopy would cause a stomach ulcer, have u had the results back, did u have h pylori?? It may be that u have gastritis which can give various nasty symptoms.

• Posted

I was very uncomfortable for a couple of days after, like I couldn't have hot drinks and I could feel food going down. I also felt very raw, but I had gastritis and oesophagitis so I think the scope irritated the inflammation for a bit. Also my throat ached and felt weird. But the effects went away before the week was up. Serious problems from a scope are very rare and are usually picked up by the camera if they happen.

Have you had your scope yet or do you have your appointment coming up?

• Posted

Hello Joseph,

Have you recently had an endoscopy? If so, are you noticing bleeding of any kind? Endoscopy can cause bleeding, perforation and pancreatitis.

• Posted

hi cindy, i last had an endescopy in oct2018. that was my 3rd one in 6 years. after the first 2 i was fine a day or so later and eating normal etc, however after the most recent one in 2016 i felt completely different and since then my appetite is very poor i get full very easy and i just feel that they may have damaged or did something wrong during the last endescopy. i do have another on in a couple of weeks time and had a recent contrast stomach scan 2 weeks ago where i think they may have come accross something which could be one if the conditions you mentioned. i have also to stop taking my PPIs 14 days before my endescopy which i find a little strange. i never had to stop taking these meds before my previous endescopies. anyone else have similar issues after endescopies?

• Posted

how come you keep having endoscopys?

had one, got disgnosed with gastritis but im having symptons they dont relate so im getting annoyed

• Posted

the reason they ask you to stop taking PPIs is because they are checking for h pylori.

• Posted

Are you in UK? Yes, I had an ERCP 2 months ago and has taken a 2 month wait now with lawyers and complaints to put right.

• Posted

Hi Joseph

It is quite the norm that they request you stop taking ppi's before a scope. They do take a small sample of your stomach lining to go to the lab. Have you had your results yet??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.