Post endoscopy pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi i have just had an endoscopy under sedation and now 6 hrs later have got stomach cramps but worst of all when i swallow food it seems to get stuck with pain in the middle of my chest. Has anyone had this? Your help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I so feel your pain. I had an ERCP on 15th Jul, to remove stones and insert a stent to open up a stricture. I am now on my 9th day of biliary colic and no sign of improvement. My life is on hold as I am in so much pain and NHS has two speeds slow and stop. Have been to 2 x A&Es, gp, 111 and have to wait for upper GI to review me. I could cry constantly. I don't know what I have to do to get through this..

• Posted

i am sorry u going thru tough time, pain is very distressing but you will get thru this, keep talking to people who care for you and keep asking dr questions. i find that i can talk to my dr who never makes me feel i am a bother she is wonderful. Believe it this to will pass even though it may not seem like it now.

• Posted

hi, i have been on about the effects an endescopy can have on us. as for myself i had two previous endescopies in 2011 and 2013 which gave no real after effects and was more or less fine with eating normal the next day. howrver, after my last dndescooy in october 2016 i felt completely different in that my stomach felt different as a result my apoetite went down hill and despite my mentioning this to my doctor and hosp consultant they more or less dismiss and connection between loss of appetite and whatever was done after last endedcopy. as i have gerd and barretts oesaphagus im due for another scope next month which im very reluctant to have. i do hope you get relief and feel better soon.

• Posted

so i am trying to get some answers about this chest pain when i swallow. i spoke to dr who did procedure and he was not very helpful he said it could be bruising from biopsy taken in my throat, he suggested i talk to my gp, saw her today and she said it is possibly bruising but also suggested perferation but i didnt have the vomitting up blood that is a symptom., she suggested i see how i feel tomorrow and if no better i will go to my local hospital so they can investigate. Does'nt it feel like they all passing the buck? will keep you posted,

• Posted

I'm yet to have to my endoscopy done. How was the procedure? I'm terrified. I do hope it's nothing serious and that you will heal in due time.

• Posted

hi krista procedure is fine i only just found out the reason for my discomfort is because they did a biopsy of my throat and stomach to check for abnormal cells, i feel some comfort that if they had seen anything bad they would have said. i now have to wait for results,

• Posted

Some doctors can be very rough especially when they know you are under sedation. Reactions like this are not uncommon. However, I didn't get a reaction like this. I got severe depression a few hours after the procedure because I am extremely intolerant to sedation of any kind. Give it a week and if you are no better after this, see your doctor again for further advice.

• Posted

I had an endoscopy recently and felt a bit bruised on the inside after. I hurt when food went down and really hurt when I had a hot drink. I also had a weird feeling in my throat and neck for a few days after. The pain went away after a couple of days, I had oesophagitis and gastritis and I think if you are inflamed when the scope goes down it is going to be a bit sore after. Did you have any inflammation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.