Post-Exercise BP Readings

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'd like to hear from people who record their BP after they work out. I started taking readings recently, as I've been trying to figure out whether my meds are keeping me from being able to reach higher levels of heart-rate capacity during my workouts. After a pretty rigorous workout today, my BP was 110/63. 

50 y/o M, 5'5", 132 lbs, on Amlodipine (5 mg, 1x), Losartan (100 mg, 1x), and  Bisoprolol/hctz tabs 5/6.25 (1x).

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Gary,

?Can you give all of us some Background Info?  Why so many BP Meds?  Was your BP "Out the Roof" when you were put on 3 different BP Meds?

?Are you suffering some degree of Heart Failure?  Was your workout today Cardio, Muscle Building, Both? (Reason I ask this last question is if your Lower number was a few points lower, I'd be surprised you had the energy to work out!)

?Look forward to a follow Up Post!   Ernie

• Posted

Thanks for asking. I've been on meds since I was 22--this particular combination is where I've landed. Typical story of essential hypertension all over my family; meds get tweaked whenever my BP plateau breaks and my numbers go up consistently over a period of time. My heart's in great shape, and always has been. I've always eaten well, no drugs or alcohol. And today's workout was a more intense version of the usual strength and cardio / all-over fitness training, with my trainer, which I do twice a week. 

• Posted

Gary,

?Obviously you "Know Your Body" - which is a very good thing.  Doesn't seem you Obsess or Stress over what you know - Familial Hypertension.  And that's also a very good thing.

?Your Weight for your Height is Perfect so that's definitely not an issue.

?Getting to your original question regarding "Is you Med cocktail preventing your getting into the zone where you actually are strengthening your Heart"?  (Paraphrased a little - but I think that was the Gist.)

?To answer from a personal perspective - but NOT being on your particular BP Cocktail - all I can offer is the following:

?The MORE I work out and the more INTENSE my workouts, the Lower my BP is about an Hour after my workout vs. my Off Days!  And to this end, until a Health Issue caused me to have to temporarily cease my trips to the Gym, I actually had to cut my BP Meds by half!  Due to my significant layoff, I had to go back to my original prescription recently.  (Wife and I were both sick with significant Respiratory Issues.  They then became ENT Issues with the resulting Long Term Antibiotics.  Don't know exactly what we contracted but many of our Friends and Family suffered the same or similar issues.

?I realize my thesis probably hasn't helped much but the bottom line is - "My Exercise helps lower my BP to the point I have to cut my Dosage or it gets so low I become Lethargic.  Additionally, I naturally have a very slow pulse - but a Very Strong one".  Cardiologist is not concerned.  (Of course, I'm not concerned about HIS either!  LOL)

?I realize I haven't been much help but hopefully my reply will spur others as we all get e/m's when a new Post Starts.  There are a couple of really knowledgeable People on here that I'm sure can provide some insight regarding your specific question and issues.  One Lady in particular is always helpful and I'm embarrassed to say her name escapes me at the moment!  It's been a particularly long day for me and I'm quite TIRED!  

?Good Luck and Take care!   Ernie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.