Post Fibroid Embolisation

Posted , 102 users are following.

If my experience can help I would like to share this to other sufferers of fibroid. 

Having decided not to try for a family after having had 4  failed IVF's, I just like my life back without pain, bleeding & generally miserable every month.

I have ticked all the boxes that my gynae suggested pills, Zoladex, hysteroscopy-failed mirena or not even had it despite undergoing most uncomfortable impromptu procedure.

I cannot fault any of the staff who dealt and performed my procedure, they were excellent.

However, soon after the procedure my pain was not managed properly & I was in agony. I suggest that premedication of Voltarol, paracetamol @ anti emetics should be in place. Then as soon as the procedure is completed a bolus of 10 mg Morphine from the PCA should be initiated.

Diet wise eat less & high fibre to avoid abdominal discomfort.

Rest is vital. 

The first week was I called 'a week of pain'.. The cramping was severe and round the clock pain killers, had to take 'oromorp' prescription.

Second week, things are getting better but constantly tired. 

Third week, cramping started & slightly bleeding still very uncomfortable, guess this is my normal cycle time & already showing signs of fibroid shredding.

I'm still in this week of recovery and hoping that with what I have gone through the result is good in three months time.

UFE is less invasive but should be treated as having had major procedure because whilst there is no open wound, things are all happening inside you and only you can feel the pain!

8 likes, 279 replies

279 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello!

I had my procedure 4/13/16. I can't complain at all about the actual procedure or the overnight hospital stay. I received a morphine pump and morning while in the hospital. I felt okay just a little cramping. I thought at first that this was the easiest thing ever. Boy was I wrong! When I was discharged no one informed me about taking the ibuprofen so I was taking hydrocodone and doxycycline and I got sooooooo constipated and my stomach blew up to the size of a basketball. My stomach was sore to the touch and my pain was so bad it felt like contractions. I was discharged with Colace and that did nothing for me. I couldn't eat for 4 days and couldn't poop either! Finally, took some stronger laxatives and felt better after pooping. I have been off work since 4/13 but I have moments of spotting, cramps and fatigue. This procedure is no joke! I wondered also if a hysterectomy would have been better as well because the pain is excruciating. I will be going back to work 5/2 and I am a little nervous about it.

• Posted

Hi. I had my UFE on 27/0/2016.

The procedure it self was not too bad at all. I found less painful

then getting a tattoo. I was still OK during the night, just cramping in

my leg but the self controlled morphine sorted it out. The late

afternoon of 28/04/2016 I was allowed to go home.

That evening the cramps started to kick in. I have a lot of pain now

in my lower abdomen and back/hips. The bruising is sore and the

Pains I can only describe as sharp. Its like everything around waist

level is pulled tight.

I hope this passes soon. Good Luck everyone 🍀

• Posted

I had my fibroid embolisation on 2nd June 2016, the procedure itself was pain free as I had a pre med of pain killers and a morphine pump. I had to lie flat for 2 hours afterwards in recovery and then was transferred to a ward. I kept my morphine pump overnight which kept the worst of the pain at bay, however I did have to be put on oxygen overnight as my repertory levels dipped due to the morphine. The following morning I was disconnected from my pump and switched to diclofenac and paracetamol. By mid day I couldn't keep anything down, was having constant hot sweats as felt constantly nauseous, this continued for the next 36 hours and they wouldn't let me go home until it was under control. I came home late pm on 4th June, the cramps have continued, so have the horrendous hot flushes and I still feel sick from time to time. I have no energy to do anything and there is a tight, pulling sensation especially when I move. The headaches are easing, wasn't expecting them. The hospital gave me a weeks certificate and said to contact my GP if I needed any longer. I agree with other comments that this procedure needs to be looked at and more realistic recovery times given at the outset. You may not have a scar, stitches bur as my consultant said to me, there are no restrictions on what you can do, that doesn't mean you will feel like doung anything, remember we have done an awful lot inside that's not visable. It is certainly not pain free post operation, I have never had labour pains but I do know it's worse than any period pain I've ever had, and the painkillers they send you home with mute it rather than remove it. Today I have been having funny bubbling /fizzing sensations that travel upwards and my stomach and groin are still tender, nothing can be done at any speed! Good luck to anyone having this done, be prepared and don't be fooled by how painfree the initial procedure is, the effects come after. X
  • Posted

I had my UFE at the end of April, the procedure itself was painless, I didn't feel anything, they did it via my arm which causes less problems than via the leg. About an hour after the procedure the pain kicked in and it was terrible. When the hospital was finally convinced that I was in pain they kept me overnight with good pain medication. The first week after the procedure was very painful too but the second week I was able to get back to the office with some mild painkillers, the weeks after that were an up and down of pain-no pain. It's June now and I'm still suffering terible pains with my periods, usually only on the first day, in between I'm feeling pretty good, no pain, energy level is coming back too.

• Posted

hi Karin,

i had my procedure on the 4th of May. just 2 months and few days now. my period was very heavy in the month of june and this last one for july was so not as heavy as the last it was also pain free. i want to believe it gets better by the months right? how is your own period now is lighter that it was before the ufe? and have you started sheding the fibroids? just weant to know

• Posted

Hi, I think I shredded the fibroids in the first month mostly, my periods are just painful on the first day but much lighter and shorter 
    • Posted

Hi Ruth. I had my procedure mid March. My first 2 periods were light but the 2nd heavier than the first. The third was very heavy but shirt altho I experienced spotting for about 4 weeks around it. So for me it started good and it's going down hill. That being said it's better than before the procedure and I'm hopeful that my body is still sorting all this out and it will get better.

And THAT being said, I've tried 3 other options before UFE and so far none of them have had long term results. But all I can do is stay positive.

• Posted

I like to start out by saying that I had my surgery five months ago . At first after about a month or so i felt better ,but now I'm experiencing the same pain . I don't think it worked on me.

• Posted

Did you have pain all throughout your stomach area? I felt like I was having contractions the other day kicked my ass.i understand that the oxygen is being cut off of them but man that hurt.
    • Posted

Yes, th pain felt like I was kicked in the stomach by a horse. That means the procedure is working
    • Posted

The pain does happen remeber that the oxygen is being cut off.  Also depending on how big they were/are and were they are situated too.  I would call the Nurse/Sister/Gynae dept for advice
    • Posted

Hi yes I spoke to the doctor today and she's said the same thing regarding the pain. One of mine is 18 inches. So yes I will be experiencing pain. I'm home from work again for a few days. Did you pass any of yours? I would assume there like blood clots.thank you for everything you say all my friends have no idea what I'm talking about so it's nice to talk to someone that knows and understands.

• Posted

Passing of the fibroids.... this happened for me the beginning of the fourth week.  Week three the pain had subsided, no pain killers just used the hot water bottle which I did when I have period pain. Week four the pain came back with vengence and started to pass large blood clots, just like a very heavy period. Had wear a sanitary towel.  The day after it happened I  phoned the Sister at the hospital and she reminded me that because the fibroids were big this would happen. This carried on for about a week or so. Week six and the strong pain and clots have stopped.  I still have a little niggling pain but nothing which needs pain killers. If the pain does come I get out the hot water bottle.
  • Posted

I was treated as an out patient. I am on day 6 post op today and here's my experience so far.

1st 24 hours following the procedure I went home only a few hours after the UFE but when i woke up from surgery I was in a lot of pain and shaking alot from the anesthesia.

Something inside was swollen and pressing against my bladder and caused me to feel like i had to pee all the time but nothing would come out. That while having labour pains at the same time was the most uncomfortable part of the recovery.

I was literally crouched over on the floor or toilet feeling like i was going to push a baby out or pee but nothing ever came out. This went on and off for the next 72 hours scaring the crap out of my husband.

Consequently, somewhere along the way I became chaffed or knicked on my vag somehow and next thing you know I've got a rash on the very opeing of my vag where pee comes out. Now everytime I pee I have to bite down on something or make a fist because it's so painful! It literally feels like razor blades! The nurse told me to put desitin on it so that's what I'm doing.

I am also sweating...ALOT! I'm hot and cold throughout the day. We have the AC on and off and like three fans on me. Its like my body is fighting an infection. The only thing that's getting me through the day is the oxycodone but it only takes the edge off and I don't want my liver to die so I'm weary about taking the pain meds everyday.

I will have to wait and see if all of this was worth the pain and suffering. I am praying that i will be back to normal soon and that the stupid fibroid(s) is/are dead. Yes, it's less invasive but there is still alot pain and suffering to be had.

They may sell you on the "less invasive part" but it's still MAJOR recovery time. Allow yourself AT LEAST two weeks to recover!

I wish I had found this forum earlier. Either way, I still think this is better than a hysterectomy. Good luck ladies!

• Posted

I'm no practitioner but this sounds like infection; possibly in the urinary tract. If you haven't, you may consider checking it out. It can be VERY uncomfortable.

• Posted

Hi Lynn... I'm sorry to hear about how difficult your recovery has been. I wanted to comment on the sweating... Assuming you do not have a UTI, it could be hot flashes and totally normal. I was warned that the procedure could trigger menopause. The first month I thought that was happening to me with the night sweats. Soaking all thru my sheets. But after 4 to 6 weeks it all settled and stopped.

• Posted

Hey Deanna2012,

That's what I thought too because I had heard about the early menopause thing but the fevers went away. When I saw my doctor for my 3 week post op appointment he said that it was normal to have fever like symptoms because the fibroid is fighting to stay alive? But the sporadic fevers have gone away and I am starting to feel like my old self again. =)

• Posted

Hey Jo59217,

I totally got some kind of infection or rash but the Desitin the nurse told me to use down there worked and only 24 hours after applying it was gone. I am no 3 weeks post-op and I feel so much better. The sweating and fever have gone away.

The only thing is I'm still very tired which I attribute to the anemia I still have. I am still bleeding consistently every day just not as much as before. Anyway, thanks for your response. =)

• Posted

Well this is great because from the info I've read thats what supposed to happen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.