Post foot fracture, have a popliteal DVT and a Baker's cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone experienced a Baker's cyst (behind the knee), and a popliteal DVT post injury? I don't know what to do. My DVT is covered by anticoagulants, but I've just been told about the Baker' cyst and it's starting to bother me. I'm still recovering from the foot fracture and I am going to phyiscal therapy. But I don't think the PT knows what to do either. The cyst is just starting to cause discomfort. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I suffered a suspected DVT whilst I was on holiday in Lanzarote a few weeks ago. After a second Iltrasound scan, the diagnosis was a badly ruptured Bakers Cyst in my calf (the symptoms are almost identical to a DVT). I managed to fly back to the UK and had the diagnosis confirmed by my local Hospital. After 3 weeks, the calf is still very hard, and painful if I try to put any weight on that leg. No-one seems able to give me any indication as to how long the recovery will take, or if it is likely to re-occur.

All I'm doing is using ice packs and keeping the leg elevated as much as possible.

• Posted

Wow, I have heard ice packs and elevation is the only way, and then it still might come back. But I was diagnosed with the popliteal DVT twice on scan, no one looked at the back of my knee. I finally took myself for another scan and it showed both Baker's cyst and DVT. I'm not sure and cannot find anything on the internet whether it's OK to put ice on a pop DVT. Since I have both, I'm lost. I may take myself for an MRI to see what is really brewing back there. I had no swelling other than the back of my knee jutting out more than the other. I also had that stiffness and now it's gone. I am hoping that it doesn't burst, since I am on the anticoagulants and cannot be of them. Was it very painful when it burst?
  • Posted

The major concern I had was that the Doctor in Lanzarote was giving me injections to thin my blood (standard treatment for a DVT) and I brought a supply of needles back with me to self inject. Once my local Hospital completed their diagnosis, they advised that the injections were actually preventing the Bakers Cyst from healing so I stopped them. 
  • Posted

I've now had 3 ultrasound scans and the last one at my local Hospital clearly showed a large rupture at the back of my calf. It was probably caused by sudden change in my activity levels. I did a lot of swimming and walking during the first few days of my holiday in Lanzarote. Whilst the calf is still rock hard, my general mobility Is a little easier today (after exactly 3 weeks) so I'm hoping that the elevation and ice packs are  gradually having an effect. Ask your GP to be referred for another ultrasound scan in order to be absolutely sure as to the correct diagnosis. Had I not had a second ultrasound scan out in Lanzarote, the original diagnosis of a DVT would have meant that I would still be languishing out there waiting for permission to fly home. It was not particularly painful unless I tried to put weight on it. The nerve ends at the back of my calf are driving me crazy, but otherwise, I think I'm on the mend. Hope your situation improves

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.