Post foot fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. Had fusion of foot bones end March.  Had plaster cast removed three weeks ago.  Had no pain when in plaster but now have boot and finding it difficult to wear and having pain.  Not sure if I am putting enough air in, or if too much.  Having X-ray in two weeks and then physio and starting to walk without boot.  Any tips on walking with boot as its annoying I don't seem to be making any progress.  Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a Cartiva implant on Feb 27 and was just ordered back in the boot today for two more weeks. The best way to do the boot is to make sure it is deflated and put your foot in. Then velcro in place and inflate until you feel a hugging sensation around your calf and ankle, but don't cut off your circulation. Your foot should not be hanging over the edge and should feel a bit cushioned. When you walk, your foot should not be taking any pounding or pressure when hitting the ground. Be sure you lock it in place on the side and check throughout the day to be sure it is still inflated enough. Give it a few more pumps if it's not. Hope that helps. Fusion - ugh!! Good luck in your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Lorjie

my IPAd keeps freezing for some reason and this is my 3rd attempt to replying!  I am doing exactly as you say - even have added a few bits of form over the scar sites.  I am using crutches but feel I should have got rid of then by now.  Appointment on 21st of month for more X-rays so need to make better progress, but it's so so slow.  Thought I would have been much better.  Hopefully things will improve soon.   

• Posted

Hi

I am having the same procedure in Aug. I am happy to here someone's experience with the surgery. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi.  Good luck with your surgery.  Let me know when you have it done.  I was just in overnight.  Had backslab plaster on for two weeks and then plaster cast for six weeks.  Had no pain when in plaster whatsoever but now have bit of pain.  Hopefully it will ease once I start physio in a couple of weeks time.  It is a long process but hopefully will be worth it in the long run. 
    • Posted

Thanks Marie

Aug 23. Is my surgery date. I pray everything goes good. I will keep you posted. Please keep me posted as well on your progress

• Posted

i wore a Procare EvenUp shoe balancer on the other (good) foot ---

I had severe back pain for a week before I knew about the balancer --- it's on Amazon.

I was told to deflate the boot before putting my foot in and inflate all the holes

with the same number of pumps on each hole  ---- I have an old boot though --they

may not be the same now.

• Posted

Martha I think mine is a different boot as my consultant said to make sure and put foot in first before inflating.  I found an old pair of wedge shoes which took me up to the same height as the boot so I am wearing that.    I will try putting the same amount of pumps in each to see if anything joy.

cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.