Post Fundoplication

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 18years post HM with fundoplication and still have problems with gas bloat syndrome. I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and had the Fundoplication removed and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks for anyone that can help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Would you mind explaining a little further, ie 'gas bloat syndrome,'  I'm very interested in knowing more about this.  I had a HM & Fundoplication in Nov. 2016.

• Posted

Probably best to google it but as far as I'm aware it's due to the fact that I'm unable to vomit or burp therefore anything ie carbonated drinks (my enemy) fatty/acidic foods have to go through ur system.

• Posted

I find what you have shared, to be interesting.  As, not long after I had my surgery, in a discussion on the Achalasia Forum, someone said that once you have an HM surgery etc., you won't be able to vomit.  I asked my surgeon about this, and he said that I would be able to.  I have gone through bouts of nausea, bloating, gas, etc., post-surgery, but not yet felt the urge to vomit, so don't know if the surgeon is correct, or the person who posted on the Forum!  I hadn't had any carbonated drinks for 2 years, but decided a couple of months ago to try one...bad idea.  Won't try another!

• Posted

I have had that surgery . a few weeks after the surgery I got sick with colitis, and I could not throw up at all I just dry heaved.

But 3months now I have too( myself off of pain meds and all the swelling as went down . I have had withdraws and I THREW UP !. Yep😊woo boo.

Sound kinda funny to a normal person but hey I got that darn acid stuff up!

• Posted

I had the HM with fundoplication in 2012 and still have issues with gas, bloating and stomach cramps. However, I am able to vomit when necessary, but burping is few and far in between. 
  • Posted

Assuming that you have tried diet changes and possible medication, it might be feasible that the fundoplication could be adjusted.   There are various degrees of fundoplication that can be applied, but whether having a wrap that is too tight causes this and, say, a 120 degree wrap might improve things is really an issue for an experienced surgeon to consider.

?Sometimes the wrap comes undone and can be replaced surgically, so it can be done (whether it is prudent is a different issue).   The short answer is that without the wrap you would probably suffer a lot from reflux.   Prolonged exposure to reflux may potentially lead to Barrett's oesophagus (see Action Against Heartburn website for more information).   This could be combatted by PPI medication (eg Esomeprazole) which switches off stomach acid and can lead to complications from gut bacteria changes.

?You would need an experienced gastroenterologist and surgeon's advice about this, and I suspect that their first reaction would be to try to avoid revising the surgery if you can.

• Posted

If you had laproscopic surgery, the bloat is normal for a couple of weeks.  My son had the same surgery at age 17 and was bloated for at least 2 weeks if not longer.  It was just from the gas they put in your abdominal cavity during surgery.  I know it was uncomfortable for him.  At least that was our experience, your's could be different.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.