post fundoplication diarrhoea

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone else suffered diarrhoea in the months following Nissen findoplication?  I am now 12 weeks post surgery and still not back to eating normally, lots of wind and gurgling tummy noises and diarrhoea.  I also suffer with IBS which seems to be worse since the surgery.  Recently caught a stomach bug which, although everyone else who has had it has recovered in 24 to 48 hours, I am still suffering on and off for more than 2 weeks, 2 periods of 2 days off work, sent in a stool sample today so will wait for results. Think my resistance is low. Have lost 8kgs since my surgery and still losing, now 49.5 kgs and have lost muscle tone. don't know what to eat because of the cramps and diarrhoea. Wonder if it's anything to do with now stopping the Omeprazole after being on it for 10 years. No more acid reflux but has the IBS been exacerbated or is it because my stomach is now having to deal with absorbing vitamin b12 and magnesium which it hasn't been able to absorb for a long time due to the Omeprazole? Also worried about osteoporosis, my arms and legs so thin, can I ask for a test? So many questions! Any ideas?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sunlover,

I'll try and get back to you tomorrow with some suggestions...in the meantime please purchase some "sub lingual" liquid B!2"...it will go directly to your blood stream.

Perhaps at the same time purchase Vit D3 (gel only) 2000 to 4000 IU),

vit K2 (50mc not mg), calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, zinc gluconate 50mg)

Take the B12 immediatly.

Do you have any other issues such as dbt2? other meds?

Claudio

• Posted

Thanks Claudio  I will get some sub lingual liquid B12 tonight, hopefully will also help with the fatigue, no I don't have diabetes and I am now not taking any other medication since my surgery have stopped the Omeprazole and ranitidine. Think the long term effects of omeprazole (10 years) may have taken their toll!
  • Posted

Hi Sunlover

I had the op 6 months ago and suffered from severe diarrhoea for the first 3/4 months. It has pretty much gone now.

I still get severe wind but am on probiotics and am now trying fermented cabbage water. These are common post nissen symptoms unfortunately which can take up to 12 months to calm down

Wish you well

• Posted

Hi Moonbuggy,

A swag…re "severe wind) suggest a one day human mouse trial…gas can be due to fermentation in the

Large colon (if your not swallowing a ton of air with due to the fundo…so easy to do)…

90% of carbs should be digested in the small intestine…if not they Are sent trucking to the large colon where its not as up to speed at processing thus gas

One day: all meals….add the amylase enzyme pre consumption…reduce carb intake (no

Need to avoid or eliminate) with adequate amylase in the oral cavity, and mixing well with carbs, an immediate catabolization takes place…(thus a baked potato will get

Chewed and mixed well where as mashed potato will not, enters the stomach where the ph is too low for amylase to process, enters the small intestine where only the smallest molecules get processed, and the others are passed on to the colon).

I started a batch of nappa cabbage kimchi without spice several days ago, . Used only garlic, ginger, sugar, tad of miso, and green onion.

Please let me know how well you do with your fermented cabbage juice…many have found it amazingly good.

Claudio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.