Post gall bladder pain??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I am new to this discussion board and was so happy to read about other experiences. I had my surgery on 3/21/17 and am 9 days post op. I too am having issues with the full feeling, nausea and am also having trouble with pain just as I had prior to surgery. I had mine removed due to gallstones and am still suffering from cramping and pain in upper center of abdomen. It comes and goes, gets worse after eating and sometimes is constant. I have had to take few more days off from work due to this. It's as if nothing is better from surgery and maybe worse! Please help I'm miserable!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sonia,

I'm also Sonia haha, nice to meet you.

Let me just start by saying I can guarantee you are in the right place for help and support. And advice when it can be given.

I had mine removed 5 weeks ago and I must admit work still feels like a chore so please don't rush yourself with going back to work. You should give yourself a minimum of 2 weeks at least off work and rest as much as you can in that time. The pains you are experiencing 9 days post op are also normal. You have to remember that the surgery is major surgery and your body is adjusting to the change of not having this organ. Please if you can just give it a while longer and take pain killers to help with the pain. If you are still unsure ho and see your gp for a second opinion. I went to see mine 2 weeks after surgery, or around about, because I was also still experiencing pains. I was told I just needed to give my body time to recover which can take anything from 4-8 weeks. Sadly for me I am experiencing severe diarreah and losing weight rapidly and also low blood pressure which seems to have become worse since my op. I went back to work after just 1 week which was silly and needed to take some more time off work. Even now, 5 weeks on I still get the odd pain but it it's quick sharp pains which ease with rest. Look after yourself and don't push yourself too much too soon. Give your body time to recouperate and it will benefit you more in the long run.

Keep me posted on how you're getting on and take care of yourself.

Sonia xx

• Posted

Not too often that I find a Sonia spelled like mine...love it! Thank you for the advice I will wait and see if it gets better😊

• Posted

Haha I know right!

Sadly we aren't given much information on what to expect post surgery. I was still in pain 2 weeks after surgery and thought that was weird but it is major surgery. Yes definitely give it some more time. People normally return to work and normal daily duties 3 weeks after surgery but still take things easy. Keep that in mind and don't push yourself if you're not ready for it. There's nothing wrong with holding out a while longer. Your health is more important that anything else.

Best wishes x

• Posted

Hi Sonia. I had my op 3/20. I've had the same symptoms as you. I've had a hard time finding anything I can eat that doesn't make me feel bad. Have the full feeling and cramps.

I woke up this morning about 3 am and my stomach was burning like I was starving, so I made some oatmeal. This didn't help and also made me feel bad. I was so glad I haven't had issues with diarrhea like many people on this site have had. Now this morning I am having diarrhea also.

I'm hoping it's just early on and we'll be feeling better soon. I'm with you, it's kind of scary wondering if this is how it's going to be now but being on this site can give you a lot of support. So let's just hang in there and give it a little more time.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you for the concern and advise! I'm going to give it longer and see if it gets better. Sorry you are experiencing the diarrhea I have a few days here and there but not constant. Keep me posted on how you are doing!

• Posted

Hi sonia and temi, as sonia said its early days for the both of you. It takes time and some of us take longer than others. 

Unfortunately diarrhoea can happen as is quite normal but like anything if you're unhappy, unsure or in pain that you can't deal with then go back to your doctors, even if they say its normal it is piece of mind for yourself.

If you don't mind me saying why don't the 2 of you keep in regular contact, it really helps. I'd been speaking with sonia before the op and since and some others that had the op around the same time, so we can support and help each other, its invaluable as people at home don't always understand however much they try.

You'll also find that if you continue on this discussion then others will see your posts and will also comment who are further along than yourselves.

Take care both of you and rest, eat little and often and keep your fluids up. Keep us updated with your progress. xx

• Posted

Hi sonia. Just checking to see how you're doing. I think I might be doing slightly better in the last couple of days but still feel like I'm a couple days post having a stomach flu. But really no soreness or stomach cramps in a couple of days. Hope you're improving. I see my surgeon Tuesday. How about you?

• Posted

I am feeling better as well. Maybe time will help both us, I hope! Glad to hear you are improving 😍

• Posted

Hi Sonia,

I was on another group that had this similar posting type headline but it's much larger. I'm sure I'll find it again, but I accidentally deleted it. Before I put in my password. But that's why I think I'll be able to find it later. Ok sorry, I'm too wordy. I had my gallbladder out in 2005! Yep, that's right. I started to feel pain maybe just on the verge of 3 months ago. The pain is now moving around but it still feels similar to gallbladder pain in the front right upper quadrant. BUT it goes around to the corresponding side and my back a little. I haven't gone to a dr. About it yet, because of how the messed up the original surgery. But that doesn't seem to play into it. From what I've read so far, it's just my fear. So it doesn't seem to matter when it happens, it's that it does happen, period. I just wanted to say you're not alone. I want to see who wrote here and see if anyone else directed you to the other post site. I'll be back if no one has, and if I find it, again! Lori

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.