Post Gallbladder surgery questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys answer gals just want to pick the brains of people here who have had their gallbladders removed. I appreciate it is different for everyone but! I had my gallbladder out Thursday. I know it's not long. Thursday I had quite a bit of pain under my ribs and round my back. It was just like when I had a stone stuck when I came round from anesthetic. I was told that was normal. That sort of eased of through yesterday but I'm still getting intermittent pain there, catching me short of breath at times.

I didn't sleep well at all last night. Felt like my stomach was full of pressure but I'm finding it almost impossible to pass wind and I haven't had a bowel movement at all yet. I'm managing to eat little and often but feel full very quick. To be expected. But this morning my back across the middle feels so painful like a horse had kicked me and my stomach feels like everything has been rinsed round in a machine. The trapped wind and sluggish bowels are awful! I'm drinking lots of water, eating little and often, plenty of fibre and low fat. I have wind settlers but they aren't doing much. I can move around perfectly fine but when I sit my stomach is growling like mad and painful pressure. Is there anything else I can try? Is this normal? As the day has gone on today I'm feeling more tired and washed out than I did yesterday but I think it's my bowels. Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Even if it's a kick up the bum to tell me this is normal and will pass soon!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

OK so something has woken me up. I've had extra peppermint tea today and let's just say it's a good job my husband isn't a prude 😨
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, still really early days, I had mine done on the 29th Jan, felt shocking for a week, but was back to work after 2 weeks the second week felt much better as each day went on, but I found sleeping with a pillow tucked in my side helped. Also was drinking hot/warm peppermint cordial a couple of cups a day, eased everything really good, helped me go for a poo and eased passing wind! Just take it easy, don't lift or bend, I know it's easier said than done, but all you mentioned sounds normal, the pain in your tummy could be trapped wind, keep walking about, and the cordial will defo help, I got mine from Tesco. Hope it helps!
  • Posted

Its been 15 days for me and the pain you discribe is what I felt too.  I have not been able to sleep in bed, laying flat makes the pain worse. I get about 4 hours of sleep a night because I still hurt,  like a bruised feeling above my stomache and pain in the back right side and I don't know why. I do see Im getting better now but still feel bruised. as for bowel problems I took a stoo; softner after the surgery and have no probles in that department.  My guts still feel sore 15 days later
    • Posted

Hi Mark, try sleeping on your side with a pillow tucked under, it helped me so much. You are still early days too, it does get better, just need to take it easy. Try the peppermint cordial too!
    • Posted

Hi Mark, I slept with a full body pillow last night. I got mine from argos, it was £9. I slept ALL night (8 hours) and feel LOADS better this morning. Even the pain across my back is better than it was yesterday.
    • Posted

Ive been up since 12:30 a.m.  with a bachache,  neen having that since surgery,  Im putting ice on it now but isn't helping..  laying down starts the hurt so I get up.  I don't think a body pillow will help
  • Posted

Hi guys thanks so much for reassurance. I felt better yesterday than I do today but I had a terrible nights sleep. My hub has bought me a body pillow today and I hope that helps. I was faffing about trying to organise extra pillows last night. I've found one under my legs helps when I'm on my back.

I think the extra peppermint tea has helped as I'm feeling a little less bloated. I didn't know there was a peppermint cordial, I will look out for that, thanks.

I know it will all be worth it in the end. I feel free now and know I won't suffer any more gallbladder attacks. It's worth the short term pain and discomfort for that :-)

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Dont be alarmed, believe me, this is excactly how I felt for at least the first 3-4 weeks after. 

I had my gallbladder taken out on the 21st March and it's only the last couple of weeks where I've felt I'm back to normal. 

Lots of peppermint cordial and tea helped. 

Hope you start to feel better soon xx 

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I was advised to drink peppermint tea when I was still in hospital.  Fortunately it was provided on the trolley and worked a treat.  So much so that I was rather embarrassed when talking to another patient at one stage – fortunately she’d previously had the same experience!  lol I also took a stool softener which gradually did the trick after a couple of days.

As regards comfort in bed, I put an extra pillow under my legs and head for a week or so which helped.

Best wishes for your recovery.   

• Posted

Thanks. Today I am absolutely wiped out with pain and pressure round my middle again. Despite my body pillow, I could not get comfy last night. I stopped taking oramorph yesterday because it makes it difficult to pee. I got everything shifted Friday eve with peppermint tea. Saturday i felt pretty good, yesterday I was fine in the morning then through the day the energy drained from me. Still, it's only day 4 today. I keep luring my family into a false sense of security and I have to remind them I may seem ok at times but I need to rest. I struggled to stand to peel some potatoes earlier. It's frustrating because I was walking over 30,000 steps a day before surgery. Yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself lol
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, take it easy, I was told not to lift and bend for 2 weeks, and not to stand for periods of time, but just to walk around a little. You have to realise, (I did when my consultant told me off! smile ) that you have had a major operation and you have lots of internal stitches, my consultant told me that they take 3-4 months to heal! Just rest and let everyone else do jobs, it's hard as I struggled, but you have to listen to your body, if you feel tired, sleep, if you can, rest as much as you can it does help. I was at the gym before my operation but you just need to slow down and let your body heal. You are only on day 4! Take care, did you get some peppermint cordial? X
    • Posted

I've just sent hubby out to get some now. I'm drinking more water than anything so perhaps a dash of cordial will help. I'm so frustrated. Yesterday morning I was feeling pretty good and I thought a few more days like this and I'll be able to go out for short walks. I've just sat to the table to eat some salad and I didn't even have the energy to sit upright. I felt so hot and feel faint. Horrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.