Post gallbladder surgery vomitting

Posted , 3 users are following.

its been 2 months since my surgery. I am experiencing vomiting after I eat med sized meals and all of a sudden am getting diarrhea from diary . Anyone else experiencing similar 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi tazz I started vomiting 8 weeks after the operation too out of the blue and developed horrendous nausea. Unfortunately it's a side effect of the operation which they say will settle down. Dairy is also very hard to digest and would recommend holding off on that for now. I would recommend having a scope to make sure everything is ok. Also try caltrate calcium tablets for the diarrhea or psyllium husk until it settles down. A friend had hers removed 30 years ago and was told at the time not to eat dairy for 18 months! Try not to get stressed as it will make it worse. X
  • Posted

Hi,

I had my gallbladder removed almost a year ago following bouts of vomiting, pain, and uncontrollable nausea. I had issues with nausea and vomiting whenever I ate medium meals or anything greasy, or with tomato, or sweet. Well, actually, pretty much any time I ate. But here's the good part. After looking everywhere for something to help I started drinking "detox water" and I felt so much better. It was dandelion tea, water, lemon, and a bit of cranberry juice. Eventually I switched to 3 Dandelion Root capsules nightly. It ends up being about 1500mg I think. It has saved me. I can eat almost anything now. It's possible it could make diarrhea worse, so maybe start with 1 capsule, but I just can't tell you how much they've helped me. You can find them online or at health food stores. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi Emily that's interesting as I've recently started taking Milk thistle that has dandelion root in it and I haven't vomited since I started it. Still have some nausea but not as bad. Were you vomiting straight after your operation too? Did you have gallstones? The dandelion detoxes the liver which is the overloaded with toxins in particular estrogen which is why we develop gallbladder problems in the first place. How long are you taking the dandelion root and how long did it take to work? Thanks x
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes, I was vomiting before and after surgery. Almost as soon as I woke up from surgery. I did not have gallstones, though. I had a low ejection fraction, which means that my gallbladder was not releasing enough bile into my stomach/intestines. It made it very difficult to break down any sort of fat. It's kind of gross, but basically the food would just sit in my stomach until it almost soured and I would throw up until I dry-heaved and then would start to feel better. The dandelion root seems to help break down the fat better, I'm assuming because it helps the liver produce a better bile.. That's my understanding at least. Now this is all just speculation. I've been taking it for about 8 months now. I started out drinking the dandelion root tea, then switched to the capsules and had less nausea and no vomiting. Eventually the nausea went away and I feel 100% better now as long as I remember to take the every other day.

• Posted

Hi Emily thanks for the info. The nausea and vomiting is awful isn't it? Thankfully I haven't vomited in about 6 weeks but still get the nausea but it's not as bad. Your right about the dandelion and the bile. I read that somewhere too. Im taking milk thistle extract and it has dandelion root in it too. Have you any hormone issues since the operation. I've had a large cyst on the ovary which partially ruptured last Friday. I think it's the milk thistle extract as its good for detoxing the liver and balancing the hormones. If you don't take the dandelion root do you start vomiting again? My gp had a patient who had the vomiting and diarrhea pouring out of her for 8 months after the operation. She was in a bad way but at 8 months it started to slowly get better and she recovered fully by a year. When did you have the operation? X
    • Posted

It is absolutely horrendous! I had it about every 3-4 weeks initially, and then it increased to about once a week before surgery.  It would last for about 12 hours, sometimes longer, and it didn't seem to matter what I ate. 

I actually have PCOS, which comes with its own hormonal battles, so it's hard to say if any of that has changed after my surgery.  

I have not vomited from anything gallbladder related sense I started the dandelion root, but I also have not been off of it for more than about a week. Whenever I stay off of it for more than about 3-4 days I start to feel kind of queasy.  Its kind of like I'm on the verge of getting sick again.  I feel that it is important to note that when I get sick with my gallbladder it is literally like a stomach virus - I have chills, nausea, constant vomiting and everything for about 12 hours and it slowly subsides.  Its not like I just have a wave of nausea, vomit, and immediately feel better.  We are not completely sure that this is not caused by my hormones, but it seems rather unlikely since my gallbladder was in pretty bad shape when it was removed. I suppose that it is possible that the Dandelion root helps my hormones, too? So many mysteries. 

Ah! One last thing - my aunt has problems with her gallbladder (her son had his removed about a year before me, and he and I are the same age) and she never had hers removed. She actually manages it with the dandelion tea. Thought you might find that interesting! 

• Posted

Emily I was actually going to say that I bet if you had taken The dandelion before the operation your gallbladder would be ok. I know people who take milk thistle and they've avoided surgery too. How was your cousin after the operation? Did he have stones or the same as you? They do say that it can be genetic. My grandmother aunt and a number of cousins have had it removed. Funny thing they are all really skinny and don't eat much fatty foods! I think high estrogen has a lot to do with it. My surgeon did tell me that and I think hrt and the pill definitely increase people's chances of having problems. I was on a hormone drug as I was on steroids for 3 years a few years ago and they stopped me producing a particular hormone in the adrenal gland and I have no doubt that's what caused mine. And unfortunately was put on ppi drugs for gastritis which can also cause and aggravate gallstones. It's very sad that so many young people are having gallbladder problems. It used to only be older people who had it removed but that's all changed now. Do you feel back to normal now? They do say it can take a year. It's definitely the worst operation I've ever had and I've had more serious surgery over the years. But so many have side effects including nausea and vomiting and diarrhea but for most it settles down. X
    • Posted

I have been on birthcontrol to prevent cysts sense I was 12 or 13, so I suppose that's very possible. That's quite interesting information.  My cousin eats horribly and practically lives off Coca-cola, so it wasn't super surprising to me that he had trouble with his. He had stones, but I did not.  He mostly vomited from pain, mine was very little pain but lots of nausea.  Oddly enough I feel I recovered better than he did.  He has a lot of issues with having to go to the rest-room immediately after a meal, but I feel that may have more to do with the high fat content of his diet.  And its interesting you mention the genetics theory, because my my aunt and cousin on my father's side have issues with their gallbladder and both my grandmother and uncle on my mother's side do, too.  I'm very sorry that you've had the issues that you've had, and I know what you mean about this many young people having these problems. My boyfriend's sister is having trouble with hers, and she is only 21 - but she has a very poor diet also.  I ate relatively healthy but still had mine taken out at 17, so who knows? Definitely very interesting, though. 
    • Posted

Omg Emily Only 17. That is so terrible and awful to think the medical Profession can do nothing to save the organ. It's criminal to think someone so young had this organ removed. I'd say the birth control was the cause of your issues. The dandelion will definitely keep your hormones on track. God love you going through this at such a young age. I'm 43 and thought I was bad! Take care and keep me posted about how your doing. X
    • Posted

Thank you and best wishes to you, too! Let me know if you have any further questions. Have a blessed day! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.