Post ganglion cyct removal issue

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had a ganglion cyst surgically removed from the top of my wrist a week and a half ago. After surgery, I could move all my finger on my hand, but my thumb, I could not move normally. I could bend it in ok (toward the palm) but when I try to do a "thumbs up" sign, it will not go all the way. My brain is telling my thumb to do a "thumbs up" but it just won't go all the way (Just partially if I really concentrate) and when I do it, there is pain in the muscle that is on the outside top of my forearm, opposite side of where my thumb is (between the elbow and the wrist). I spoke with my surgeon the day of the surgery to let him know about it. He said that is unusual and he would look at it on the one week follow up appointment. I saw him 1 week post surgery, and I still had the issue, and he said its not normal and should not be happening, but said it was a simple procedure and retractors were used for the tendons and this had never happened before. He ordered an mri to look at the tendons then referred me to his colleague, a hand surgeon, to look at it. The mri is done, just waiting on an appointment to see the hand surgeon. I also still have some numbness/some loss of sensation right above and around the incision. I was told by the doctor that this is normal. I'm obviously really worried about all this, especially what is happening with my thumb. Any input would be most appreciated. thanks!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.